This incident happened near my home.
A ski boat was idling along in the 5mph zone on this warm summer day. Sitting on the swim step was a small child without a vest with her feet in the water. The child was soon overcome by carbon monoxide from the boats exhaust and fell into the water and drowned.
This child did not have to die because of driver stupidity.
A certification course would have taught them that all children must wear life jackets and that all people must be in the seated area of the boat when under way.
This isn't just about insurance rates