22.61%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Performance Boating License

Old 06-18-2004, 08:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Performance Boating License

people will just take the risk and run anyways, kinda like riding a bike and a car. Only in trouble if caught.
Make it so you can't register a boat without proof of license. The soon-to-be-boater would have to take and pass the boaters course before being allowed to register the vessel. Also make the owner responsible for allowing a non-licensed person to operate the vessel. I doubt in any state you can register a car without showing your license and proof if insurance. You certainly wouldn't allow a person who doesn't have a license to drive your car. Would you?
Old 06-18-2004, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Performance Boating License

Originally Posted by robyw1
Russ I need to come over there and be the mayor of Sarasota. I will reduce everyone's taxes and make up for it by getting the Sarasota Police to issue more tickets to people from the North East

Roby
There will be a "Roby for Mayor" bumper sticker on the back of my truck within a week.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good Subject
I personally think that something has to be done in the regulation department.
The fatalities and personal injures are at a record high. Lately it is becoming very difficult to obtain hi-speed powerboat insurance. I am hearing that, insurance companies are losing interest in this particular market. The ones that can get insurance are now paying very high premiums for the coverage.

Remember,
No high-performance boat insurance, No boat loans, No boat sales. Not too good for Powerboaters or the marine industry.

So what can be done to keep power boaters off the endangered list? You know as well as I, that the powerboats are not going to be getting slower in the near future!
So how do boat manufactures qualify customers for their own safety and the safety of others before they untie the dock lines? I personally think, just like any other motor powered machine, that is capable of reaching speeds that can cause death, bodily harm and property damage, should be regulated in some meaningful way. We all know its necessary to have a license to operate a motor vehicle or fly a plane. In most states even a valid driving license, has to be upgraded to operate a motorcycle or a large truck.

So it comes down to, who needs regulating and who don’t? I think that the deciding factor would be SPEED. The boats power can be single or multiple engines. The L.O.R. is not important; Cats or V bottoms, with or without steps. The question is how fast will she go. If the boat is capable of a certain speed, it falls in to this regulating category.

I also believe, that hi-speed boat manufacturers should be obligated to explain and demonstrate to each customer, the good, the bad and the ugly of their products. Next the Powerboat industry should form a select panel, and include the NNMA (National Marine Manufactures Association) and meet with the Marine Insurance Underwriters to discuses what needs to be done in the name of safety to bring down the fatalities and personal injuries caused by hi-speed boating accidents. Further more I think that some level of mandatory regulations should be put in place that would keep all underwriters on a comfortable level and continue to issue insurance policies at affordable rates.

My suggestions?

Before any hi-speed powerboat policy can be issued the following must be done.

U.S. Cost Guard, basic boating course (rules of the waterways). Class II pilots’ physical, the same one you would take if you where going offshore powerboat racing, this will show if your reflexes and vision are up to standards.
Hands on inspection of the powerboat in question, by a licensed Marine Surveyor. The surveyor is to give the insurance company a full written report on sea wordiness and equipment capabilities. A new survey is due on each renewal. Finally testing with an appointed representative from the underwriters, to determine if the operator is fit to operate this type of powerboat in a safe manner in all sea conditions. If the applicant fails the test, they must attend some kind of training school. When all is completed, the results will be presented to the insurance company for evaluation. If the applicant is desirable by the insurance company, they will issue a certificate to operate along with the insurance policy. I repeat, I said the insurance company would issue, not the State. I think that we all should make some decisions on this subject soon, before somebody ells does it for us.

I know it sounds like a big pain, but if it saves one life and lower the premiums it’s well worth it.

Bobby Saccenti
Old 06-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Registered

The BIG CHIEF has spoken!!! Once again he is right. If we don't want big brother to step in and regulate us, then we need to take charge and regulate ourselves. Once the government gets involved it will no longer be in our hands to make the rules and regulations bearable to live with. People remember what happened in the mid to late seventies and all the way into the nineties with the performance in cars. I mean who would have thought in the sixties that by 1975 Corvette's would have LESS than 200 H.P. That was some dark times in the performance world and we are starting to see this in boating as we speak with the noise regulations going into effect. It will just get worse if we don't do something quickly.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:42 PM
Registered

I think courses should be required and a license for all boaters that way the f**in idiots out there get there license taken away and there out of our way. there would be alot less accidents if people were required to learn the rules of the road and abide by them. We boat on lake lainer and there is a ton of boat traffic on the weekend and I would say atleast 50% of the drivers dont follow the rules of navigation. It has gotten so bad we dont even go out on the weekends any more.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveP
Since I was quoted in the story - you guys know where I stand.

If the choice is Speed Limits or Licencing in NJ - I know what I would choose.

There are entirely too many people out there that don't have a clue.
Dave's right...it can be pretty scary out there!....it's much safer on a race course than on a regular weekend day....
Old 06-18-2004, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was sitting in a criminal courtroom waiting to give testimony as a witness to an assault case. Let me tell you what I saw this guy got for negligent homicide during an illegal street race.

1-year in jail
Lost license (I forgot how long)
10-years probation
Daily reporting to supervision officer (even on sat & sun)
Automobile forfeiture
2000 hours community service
No drugs or alcohol for 10-years probation
Mandatory Drug & Alcohol treatment
Has to take a pill that would make him very sick if he drank alcohol
Breath machine on his car for 10-years.

Funny thing is that he had no prior record and alcohol or drugs weren’t even involved.

Hey even I learned from his mistake and self regulated myself to quit street racing. Now imagine that were your case resulting from someone getting killed in or by your boat going 150-MPH. Yes that would be considered negligent homicide so think about it the next time you want to drive that fast whether you have training or not.

Roby
Old 06-18-2004, 08:55 PM
Fightclub

Pontoon Boat's / and old nasty crafts should have a HIGH TECH Blood Alcohol activation device that only allows the operator to start this F*&^ing thing if they have common sense.... and are not drunk out of their minds...

As for the license I would have liked to take a course on overall operation / Seamanship and still will if it's available.

Brad

Old 06-18-2004, 09:02 PM
DeLEMONator

I'm amazed that you people think that any idiot with the cash can handle a high performance boat or even a mid level boat. Yes a training course should be required, yes a license and yes some speed controls, because of the idiots it sucks for everybody else but it is still necessary. Certainly none of you highly skilled guys would pilot your 100+ MPH rocket at excessive speed in the wrong place.

Old 06-19-2004, 12:31 AM
Fuelish Pleasures

This year here in Oregon the safety course is mandatory for anyone 40 years old or younger. Each year the age goes up until everyone is required to carry a card. The course can be taken on the Internet and consist of 75 questions if I remember right. I like the idea of some of the first time users at least knowing some of the basics. I don't like the idea of another license to purchase and maintain.

Quick Reply: Performance Boating License

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.