Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Which will have a better ride - Top Gun or 37AVH Active Thunder >

Which will have a better ride - Top Gun or 37AVH Active Thunder

Notices
View Poll Results: Which boat has better ride in snotty/confused water 2'-3'??
Cigarette Top Gun TS
67.96%
Active Thunder 37AVH
32.04%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Which will have a better ride - Top Gun or 37AVH Active Thunder

Old 06-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: Which will have a better ride - Top Gun or 37AVH Active Thunder

Thanks Fred. I hope your Sutphen twists your pretzel just as mine has for me.

I was told first hand today the new owner of the 37AVH at All Pro picks up his boat on Monday.

I took Monsoon out by myself today and met up with a bunch of Potomac River locals. I strapped on a vest and let her rip. 12mph wind this evening made for some nice 2 foot slop with a couple bigger rollers. I pushed her a bit, in the bigger water, and wanted to know what she could do in turns at higher speeds.

I ran beside OutlawMark in his new to him (and Michelle) 2001 37AVH for about 30 miles. The boats performed awesome.

MAN, I LOVE THIS BOAT!!!!!!!

Good luck Bill!

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-19-2004 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:57 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

TimG
Which one are you taking in on trade? Details please!!
Old 06-20-2004, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill R, it James from the Richmond crowd... anytime that you want to be amazed with the ride quality of the 37 AT let me know I will be in your area over the July 4th holiday. After you go for a ride you can pretty much do away with the poll, because you can answer that for yourself. Ask yourself one other question, do you all stay on the boat as much as we do 3 to 4 weekends a month and 10 days at a time for vacation, cant do that on the cig. Cabin was one of the deciding factors for us. I had the 32 AT and went to Florida and Pat took us out in the 37 ..........mine was forsale before I got back to Richmond,,,,truly outstanding ride.....need I say more.

James
"HYPERACTIVE"
Old 06-20-2004, 05:25 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Gun.

If you had the choice of getting a free new one which would you pick?
Old 06-20-2004, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dockrocker
Or a Fountain That's my point, buying a pleasure boat based on how a custom built race boat, prepped by a team and set up for one purpose is like saying I'm buying a Chevy Monte Carlo because Dale Jr won the weekend's NASCAR race...

Excellent point!!!

Get all the opinions you can, then, as said a million times before, go for a ride in each one and make your own decision.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:43 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dockrocker
..... is like saying I'm buying a Chevy Monte Carlo because Dale Jr won the weekend's NASCAR race...
And what exactly is the problem with that?? Do you really think the person buying the Monte Carlo thinks he's getting the same car that Dale jr. drives??

G

Last edited by cigarette1; 06-21-2004 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't own either brand.
But if I had the bucks I'd go with AT. They build a beautiful boat. Great looking cockpit and interior. The hull must be very efficient to obtain the speeds they do with less HP than a Cig of comparable size.

I'm not saying Cig. is a lousy boat. Far from it. Cigs have a storied and glorious past, their reputation precedes them.
And that's part of the problem. Part of the price you pay is for joining the exclusive club of Cig. owners.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cig1, my point is that a modern F2 boat is designed, rigged, and dialed in to run a closed course for a limited number of laps; if that is what you want in a pleasure boat, using race results as a buying guide makes sense.

Personally, if I was buying a boat today I'd want one that will ride well in confused water (my home waters are like a big washing machine), be able to cruise all day at 7/10ths, have a nice cabin with an enclosed head for the Mrs and my (soon-to-be) 2 young kids, and not require exotic power to hit 75 or so - I have not the time, money or ability to screw around with big blown motors. For me, a 37 AT with the new cabin and a pair of HP500's or HP525's would fit the bill perfectly, as would a number of other boats.

Seems to me that with a Cigarette you pay a premium for the name (nothing wrong with that, there's a reason they are called "cigarette boats") and there are a number of compromises in the interior - I have a hard time understanding how a 38' (or 42', or 46') boat can be built with only a porta-pottie, but everyone's priorities are different.

YMMV...
Old 06-21-2004, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been in both boats, a 37 avh and a 38 top gun twin step. Hands down the cigarette handle much better , and felt more solid. Your best bet is to drive both and see for your self good luck!!!
Old 06-21-2004, 09:42 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

We just took this one in on trade. I hope to have a chance to run it before it is sold... Then I'll share my thoughts on the difference...
Great looking boat thouh. Construction is nice, and tough. Not nearly as detailed as a Cig though.
Attached Thumbnails Which will have a better ride - Top Gun or 37AVH Active Thunder-side.jpg   Which will have a better ride - Top Gun or 37AVH Active Thunder-dash.jpg   Which will have a better ride - Top Gun or 37AVH Active Thunder-500efis.jpg  

954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation

Quick Reply: Which will have a better ride - Top Gun or 37AVH Active Thunder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.