Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Which will have a better ride - Top Gun or 37AVH Active Thunder (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/81585-will-have-better-ride-top-gun-37avh-active-thunder.html)

BillR 06-18-2004 02:59 PM

Which will have a better ride - Top Gun or 37AVH Active Thunder

I really like both of these boats, but have never ridden an AT.

Which would have the better ride in snotty, confused waters (2-3')?

dockrocker 06-18-2004 03:01 PM

Re: Which will have a better ride - Top Gun or 37AVH Active Thunder

Damn, this should be good! :D

Havasu Cig 06-18-2004 03:34 PM

Never been in a 37' AT, but 2'-3' conditions are nothing for the gun. I can run full throttle (80+)through that stuff no problem. :cool:

dreamer 06-18-2004 03:44 PM

AT=37 w/ the platform... top gun 38 ft for REAL... cigs dont get fun until you get at LEAST 4 footers... antthing less is considered glass!!!

Boomer 880 06-18-2004 04:52 PM

The AT is 37' with the swim platfrom??? So it is really 35'... is that a fact?

I thought one could only include the platform in the hull length if it was integrated into the hull.

Semper Fi 06-18-2004 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Havasu Cig
Never been in a 37' AT, but 2'-3' conditions are nothing for the gun. I can run full throttle (80+)through that stuff no problem. :cool:

I actually remember being in HavasuCig's '01 TS Top Gun in some really snotty 3'-6' water at full throttle (80mph) at the DSM Poker run a few years ago. My friggin elbow still hurts!!! That boat has some excellent rough water capabilites.

The TS outran some big powered V bottoms and Cats that day.

Jonas 06-18-2004 05:51 PM

i thnk cig but i would buy a a/t as i think the value is great

509 SC 06-18-2004 06:25 PM

That's to funny Troutly!!! :D :D :D Steve

Jassman 06-18-2004 07:12 PM

Ive owned a 2000 single step TG and a 2003 37 AVH, both single steps. I had the TG for only about 8 mos, the boat was ok, rigging was ok, with the exception of it having a terrible, and unstable ride. Pitched and rolled, and I believe Cig. realized this, and sold very few single step TG's. The mold work was better than the A.T. My partner to this day still owns it, he likes it, but it is his first boat, and he baby's it up and down the lake, 50mph tops, around Racine, WI. The 37 AVH is 36'8" plus swim platform, and rigging was better, quality of materials was better, and cabin was much nicer for the same money w/KE675's. vs 500's in the Cig. The ride in the ruff stuff is no comparision, the AVH wins hands down, one of the best riding boats in its class, that doesn't get the recognition that it deserves.

Now to clarify I few things, this is on the single step Cig, not the later twin step. Since Skip has boughten the co, I have seen some innovative as well as major improvements in the boats, he's done a good job, and improves year after year, it's evident at the shows. I just have never been in a twinn step Cig, but from what I hear, everyone loves them. Jeff Jassby

Sydwayz 06-18-2004 10:32 PM

First, I like them both. I was shopping for 38TGs, 386 Sonics and 37ATs when I bought Monsoon.

I have ridden on what I believe to be two of the most radical 38TGs of all time.
Out of Control; 2003 TG TS 750 Zuls with Phil Lipshutz driving in BIG Atlantic water.
Fight the Power: World Champion 2002 F2 Layup TG TS 525 EFIs with Gary Sanchez driving in FRICKING HUGE Atlantic UGLY water; (ask Cig1 or Titos :D ).

I have NOT pushed my boat as hard as those two boats in those two rides were pushed. However on the several 'pretty significant' landings I have done with mine, it has been incredibly solid; and feel that I could figuratively hang right beside them given the right driver (I'm not bulletproof yet); albeit my less ponies.

I am very happy with what I have put my AT through, so far. I have driven in in many different types of water at Lake Havasu, LOTO, and the Potomac River. Jassman is exactly correct on the dimensions, and how it rides. I took my Dad and Step-Mom and Sister out in mine tonight, (notice I said IN, and not ON; the freeboard is HUGE) and while we only hit a few good size 2-3 foot wakes on the Potomac, it was shearly awesome; and the couple good smacks we took while passing the Potomac River charter dinner ships, it did NOT fret my Step-Mom, which I liked.

I have gotten mine up to 77.0 mph GPS with 2/3 tanks, 4 people, full water tank, full cooler, and all the tools and anchors and stuff I carry; in very slightly brackish Potomac River with 1-2 foot chop. I am SERIOUSLY impressed with that being 496HOs and I have 500 rpm left to find props for. Can you say 80mph? And 5 years of warranty?

Bill,
Go for an AT. Much better value. As for the one at All Pro, that one is sweet, but make sure you get Frank to take you for a ride so you know for youself. There are 3 AVHs actively for sale right now, and all three have heavy breathers hanging over them. (2002 ThunderStorm 675KE, 2003 Whatever 496HO, 2004 All Pro 525EFI). There is also the slightly older 37 Straight Bottom with staggered 600s in Manassas. 'Skater's' (Mark and Sherry House) 2001 37AVH with 500s also just changed hands, but only because Mark is concentrating on racing the big cat now. He sold it to his employee OutlawMark here on OSO. Pick your passion and bend the sticks over the dash. You will NOT be sorry. If you are one who 'will not be happy until you own a Cigarette', that's great, and the right Cigarette is out there for you. I think there are 80 Cigs (all varieties) listed on OSO right now. There are 5 ATs. If you want something that is truly one of a kind, and just about eveyone thinks you are a rockstar when you pull up, go for the AT. (The rest were flipping me off and plugging their ears at the same time.) I took Monsoon into DC and Old Town Alexandria tonight. The pier became so crowed in Old Towne someone fell off and onto another boat. I had a woman come up to me, and she said all excited "You live across the street from my son, as he keeps talking about this thing called Monsoon."

I COULD NOT be happier.

Well, maybe if Dustin would take my Sister in on trade for a couple Whipp-... NO, what am I thinking? :D :D :D