Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   where are all the bigmouth fountain fans now ? not in NY (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/81633-where-all-bigmouth-fountain-fans-now-not-ny.html)

GLH 06-20-2004 06:58 PM

Re: where are all the bigmouth fountain fans now ? not in NY

Fred my view of this is the KOH deal had only essential people on the rigs (thanfully to the judgement of the participant), these guys were not out for a pleasure ride. This was balls out grown men with helmets and vests and I would venture O2 for most of all the runners in the top thier.

My humble opinion.

They should have heli's with divers however and maybe they had but I did not notice.

Downtown42 06-20-2004 07:09 PM

GL, what were the cut-off speeds for each of the 3 waves (starts)?

tachyon 06-20-2004 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Too Old
It's going to take more than a canopy to make balls out bonsai runs safe.

Agreed...they need safety divers in a chopper as well as an ambulance standing by for starters.

sauron 06-20-2004 08:05 PM

d-hlaw, could not have said it better myself.

GLH 06-20-2004 08:14 PM

The Douglas Marine (read Skater) Fountain that built this Fountain Boat (and if anyone thinks this is not true check your facts before *****ing at me) is as much a over $1 Mill. boat as the OL "XxX" is. If anyone thinks when they are buying a Fountain they are getting the Rio Roses time to check the color of your sky.

These rigs are full tilt racing boats and set up to do so.

If you are choosing between an OL and a Fountain your an idiot and do not know anything about boats. Budget dictates the choice between those two brands and they are as far apart as Rosie O'Donnell and Britney Spears. Wake the F-up.

LostinBoston 06-20-2004 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by GLH

If you are choosing between an OL and a Fountain your an idiot and do not know anything about boats. Budget dictates the choice between those two brands and they are as far apart as Rosie O'Donnell and Britney Spears. Wake the F-up.

Budget dictates between the two if buying a new one. If looking at used ones a 2003 fountain 38 and a 2001 37 OL become much closer in price.

open87 06-20-2004 08:47 PM

:eek:

h2owarrior 06-20-2004 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by tachyon
The top is removable. It's actually pretty slick...top on for high speed safety...top off when the wife & kids are around. I stopped by Outerlimits last week to see their new shop...very impressive...I saw tooling for a race boat...could see it before the end of the year I was told.

I am sure some think this is a sensible "option" for their family. Well what about my family ? Say I want to go on one of these "Poker Runs" in my simple little 37' AT and someone in this removable canopied Bad Boy "non-race" boat blows by me at 150+ and has a problem and veers into my my path ?

This kind of arrogance is very scary. If you want to race....race. Otherwise stay out of recreational boating. This type of thing is going to ruin it for all boaters.

h2owarrior 06-20-2004 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by GLH
The Douglas Marine (read Skater) Fountain that built this Fountain Boat (and if anyone thinks this is not true check your facts before *****ing at me) is as much a over $1 Mill. boat as the OL "XxX" is. If anyone thinks when they are buying a Fountain they are getting the Rio Roses time to check the color of your sky.

These rigs are full tilt racing boats and set up to do so.

I disagree. It is not budget that dictates this decision.....it is EGO and/or ARROGANCE. I have not seen it done, but I suspect if you put the same power in both boats, they would go about the same speeds..............does anyone have any data to prove otherwise ?

Downtown42 06-20-2004 09:00 PM

Most of that is avoidable as they start each group individually. The big boys will run first, then maybe the 80-100mph group, and last will be the under 80 to go.

Was not at NY but others I've run are structured like this. There is always alot of confusing wake action whatever group you are in.