Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   POLL: which oil do you use ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/81715-poll-oil-do-you-use.html)

Gordo 05-25-2006 12:10 AM

Re: POLL: which oil do you use ?

I agree that you may be able to run a synthetic oil for a slightly longer period. The problem is most marine engines run very rich, which leads to fuel in the oil, which breaks down the oil, etc...
Tyler Crockett turned me on to Royal Purple years ago and I've used it since. It seemed most of the Factory 1 and 2 offshore race teams used Mobil-1 15w-50 or
Royal Purple 20w-50 unless they were going for a kilo record, then it was 5w-30 or something like that. I no longer use Fram filters on ANYTHING. I will however use AC Delco filters on my trucks and some boats, but nowdays almost all of my boats and my customers boats run Wix Fuel/Water filters and Wix Racing oil filters.
If anyone has a better oil, additive or filter experience, I'm always open to listen and look.
In fact, I'm curious about this "SWEPCO" oil...

mrhorsepower1 05-25-2006 06:13 AM

Pennzoil GT Performance Racing engine oil. 25W50

Panther 05-25-2006 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1

Dean, is it a synthetic or regular?

Also, how does it compare to Valvoline Racing 20/50 or their 50w racing oil?

Frank

vonwolske 05-25-2006 11:01 PM

to Blitzkrieg;

Is your dissatisfaction with Mobil 1 based on the regular formulations, or is it based on the "V twin 20w-50" which is the consensus favorite of Hydrocruiser and others?

Please clarify.
Thanks, Jim

Semper Fi 05-25-2006 11:27 PM

20/50. Or whatever my mechanic reccommends

mrhorsepower1 05-26-2006 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Panther
Dean, is it a synthetic or regular?

Also, how does it compare to Valvoline Racing 20/50 or their 50w racing oil?

Frank

Non-Synthetic racing grade oil. I do not use any synthetic engine oils . No comparison in my eyes, but just an opinion also. It is important to match oil pressure and bearing oil clearence according to what your application is, how hard is the engine going to be run, horsepower and load levels, ect. We have been very successful with Pennzoil and we stick with it. If it works for you, then stay with what is working.

Dean

pkspx 05-26-2006 07:14 AM

ditto

Panther 05-26-2006 07:52 AM

Non-Synthetic racing grade oil. I do not use any synthetic engine oils . No comparison in my eyes, but just an opinion also. It is important to match oil pressure and bearing oil clearence according to what your application is, how hard is the engine going to be run, horsepower and load levels, ect. We have been very successful with Pennzoil and we stick with it. If it works for you, then stay with what is working.

Dean

Thanks! I may try it on my next oil change.

I read thru the product literature and it say's that it reduces cam lobe wear. Since I have flat tappet cam's this sounds like it could be a good thing for me.

I had synthetic in my motor when I wiped out a cam lobe last season. My engine builder said to only use dino oil after the rebuild.

Frank

Wobble 05-26-2006 09:12 AM

M-1 V-twin - engine, 50 hour changes
M-1 302 - filter
M-1 75-90 - outdrive, 50 hour changes

my engine builder loves it :evilb:

Hydrocruiser 05-26-2006 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wobble
M-1 V-twin - engine, 50 hour changes
M-1 302 - filter
M-1 75-90 - outdrive, 50 hour changes

my engine builder loves it :evilb:

....that's because engine builders like to sleep at night without the beeper going off too often...and with all the data we got last season pm'd to me... it is obvious that 50 hour changes are practical with M-1 EP or V-twin!! That dramatically cuts the labor cost and hassle factor as well.

V-twin..is THE 2,000lb gorilla who rules the Offshore Lubrication Jungle. :cool: