Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
POLL: which oil do you use ? >

POLL: which oil do you use ?

Notices
View Poll Results: What oil do you use in your stock power big block ??
25-40
9.01%
15-40
4.95%
20-50
15.37%
straight 40
15.90%
straight 30
3.36%
syntec
1.59%
mobil 1
32.33%
amsoil synthetic
7.95%
R.P.
3.71%
OTHER
5.83%
Voters: 566. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: which oil do you use ?

Old 06-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: POLL: which oil do you use ?

Originally Posted by Troutly
Just changed to Mobil 1 15W-50. I am a big Amsoil fan, just don't feel like spending the $$ on their product anymore, especially with their silly shipping costs. I can buy Mobil 1 15W-50 for the boat and Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-40 for the 6.0 PSD at Checker Auto for $4 a quart regular price and $3 on-sale.
After a lot of study I am back to Mobil-1 too, though I respect Amsoil it's the $ 8.00/qt stuff (Series 2000) that may be a little better. The rest of thier line is not better than Mobil-1. It's not worth the hassle of ordering it and paying freight. Amsoil Severe Duty or Racing does not have an API rating either. Amsoil does not warranty "racing" products in the event of oil failure.

Mobil-1 15W-50 is equal to or better than any synthetic out there.

Redline and Amsoil Series 2000 may have a slight advantage in lower viscosities to Mobil-1 and should for $ 8.00/qt. Probably reserved for those who take thier cars to the drag strip weekly?

Not enough data on Royal Purple to say much except it handles shear well as does Redline and it runs good in my tractor. They may be the best for hard running 4-stroke air-cooled engines. The "moly" seems to help in these applications by reducing friction and heat.

Oh, almost forgot: Outdrive I use only Merc HP. It has antimony in it which cushions gears better than anything and can handle moisture/condensation issues and has been extensively tested and is tried and true. In this case Mercury has probably the best overall product. Tested, reliable and a sophisticated chemistry. Anything else may be a gamble. In this case until Merc says otherwise that's what I am using. Why chance it? I think Merc has a better handle on their drives than they do on their engines in a relative sense.

Oil filter: After my findings why use anything but an A/C Duraguard? For 3 bucks it filters and flows very well and is ranked at the top. The other filters go for $ 10.99 to $ 22.00.

Above all I learned there is no substitute for frequent oil or drive gear fluid changes because of acid formation, water condensation and gas getting into the oil. No filter can get rid of this. Only frequent changes.

Why did I put myself through all this?

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 06-23-2004 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:07 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: POLL: which oil do you use ?

I use mercury racing oil filters. But now that you mentioned AC Delco....I work at a GM dealership.....I may have to try them. Anti drain back valve, and I can get them pretty cheap!!!
Old 06-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about Mobile-1 Gear Lube in the drives?
Old 06-24-2004, 07:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Shooter
What about Mobile-1 Gear Lube in the drives?

I am sure Mobil-1, Amsoil and RP and all good but Merc HP has been extensively tested and it's synthetic. I am sticking with Merc here.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:07 PM
Registered

Well, at this point I guess the results speak for themselves... mobil 1 15 - 50 is the clear choice of many..

P.S. I refuse to pay 12.00 for a gallon of regular ol'e Merc. 25-40 dino... There are much better and cheaper choices out there..

Last edited by Chris288; 06-24-2004 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Chris288
Well, at this point I guess the results speak for themselves... mobil 1 15 - 50 is the clear choice of many..

P.S. I refuse to pay 12.00 for a gallon of regular ol'e Merc. 25-40 dino... There are much better and cheaper choices out there..
Plus even Merc admits they had to "develop" a 25w40 synblend for their hard running 4-stroke outboards. That unto itself says something. Plus they charge $ 4.95/qt which is about a dollar more per quart than Mobil-1 when purchased in bulk.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 06-24-2004 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hydrocruiser-- I'm probably going to start something with this, but The question I recall Teague addressing in Powerboat a year or so ago (I plan to check my archives) had to do with roller Lifters skating/not rolling over the cam profile with cams running valve springs with low seat pressures. I recall the number being around 125 pounds. The coversation was't definitive, just that rumor had it that the roller lifters may not roll all the time with synthetics. As I said, I'll go back and look for the reference, but I recall disscussing this with a friend of mine who ran a 1200 HP 672 at the time. My humble opinion is that this is one of those urban legends that just won't die (Like broken 500HP valve springs). I apologize in advance if I'm confusing things.--Lou
Old 06-24-2004, 07:27 PM
Registered

Kendall Straight 40w and change every 12 hours along with a fram filter.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Maybe I will go back to using kerosene like Henry Ford did in the Model A's.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hydrocruiser-- Thanks for a quick response. This is obviously an emotional issue. I just found the October 2001 issue of Powerboat where someone asked Teague about running Synthetic motor oil. He indicated that he HEARD some people say that roller lifters would slide but that HE had not seen it. This is not the reference I was looking for. It was about a year ago and as I said, mentioned spring seatpressures. The only reason I poke at this stuff is not to split hairs, but to minimize the mis-information that's out there. We're all trying to do best by our toys and keep others from repeating our mistakes. Time to take a deep breath. I'll continue looking for the article. --Lou

Quick Reply: POLL: which oil do you use ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.