Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   POLL: which oil do you use ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/81715-poll-oil-do-you-use.html)

Lmarth 06-24-2004 08:57 PM

Re: POLL: which oil do you use ?

Hydrocruiser-- Just looked at the July,2004 Powerboat and see what you mean. It is a blanket statement-no qualifiers. I can't explain it. Synthetics are here to stay as far as I'm concerned-- Lou

Chris288 06-25-2004 04:05 PM

wow,, I am extremely surprised to find out just how popular mobil 1 and other synthetics are.. seems that for every 1 person using Dino, there is another using syn.. well atleas those who voted anyway..

MitchStellin 06-25-2004 04:10 PM

The latest PB mag has Teague saying again to stay away from Synthetic oil. Same as stated above. I did the change to M1 and tonight will be the test voyage, I will watch heat and pressure and report back. I feel good about the M1 in there, it seems to be the oil of choice. Thanks all.

Lmarth 06-25-2004 06:21 PM

Hydrocruiser- I found what I was looking for. It's in the July 2002 issue of Powerboat. Teague states, and I'm paraphrasing, that based on teardowns he felt the synthetics were superior in a competition environment but saw no improvement with recreational use. He further stated that recreational boats with synthetics showed flat spots on the lifter rollers and increased wear on the cam lobes. He felt that the lower valve spring pressures associated with hydraulic cams was a factor. Race applications with solid lifter cams with valve spring seat pressures of 250+ pounds kept the rollers rolling.Fast forward to July, 2004 and you have a blanket statement not to use the synthetics. I'm a convert and will continue to use Mobil1 15W50 as was suggested to me by the engine builder.--Lou

Chase910 06-25-2004 08:21 PM

Check this web site out where an ongoing test is happening between synthetic oils. First up was Mobil 1, now they are testing Amsoil.
Needless to say Mobil 1 will be staying in my cars and boat engine.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html

Hydrocruiser 06-25-2004 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Troutly
Just changed to Mobil 1 15W-50. I am a big Amsoil fan, just don't feel like spending the $$ on their product anymore, especially with their silly shipping costs. I can buy Mobil 1 15W-50 for the boat and Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-40 for the 6.0 PSD at Checker Auto for $4 a quart regular price and $3 on-sale. :)

I have mostly been using the 15w50 Mobil-1 and dabbled with Amsoil. I now realize to see a benefit over Mobil-1 versus Amsoil you need to move into their Series 2000 category and it's about $ 8.50/qt.

I think Royal Purple is a good product at $ 6/qt. I use it in my tractors and it really does cut down heat in hard working 4-strokes. I would like to see more data on this oil.

Redline is supposed to be another great choice but it's $ 8.00/qt

My feeling is Mobil-1 is a proven synthetic and the $ 3.99 A/C Duraguard filter is among the best and it has an anti drain-back valve where others don't.

So if you Shop at Walmart, you can do a 5 qt oil and A/C filter change with
Mobil-1 15w-50 for a total of $25.00. I think the price is right and if companies like Sterling like it that is all I need to know.

berns29scarab 07-27-2004 09:43 AM

I've always used Mobil1 15-50 in every small or big block i've ever had and i also add 1 quart of Lucas engine treatment with every other oil change....never had an internal failure....knock on wood...

Shanghied Again 07-27-2004 09:49 AM

Only one for me, Mobil 1 proved itself in my 22ZX Procharged 400hrs on her by now and the motor is still running strong.. I use it in my 26ZX and all my cars

force 320 07-27-2004 12:07 PM

Diesel fleet 15-40 oil, in 496 HOs. Turbo diesels have a turbo shaft bearing spinning at 120,000 rpm,and very hot, and these engines are at 18-1 compression (or so) they put all the good required addatives in these oils.

Hydrocruiser 07-27-2004 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My neighbor tried Mobil-1 20W-50 in his 800 HP SC custom motors and said it's a dark and very heavy oil that really brought his oil pressure back up and the motor runs much smoother. He tried it as I told him McCostillin recommended it along with some others. It's actually designed for V-Twin motorcycles that take a beating. The VI is about equal to Amsoil 20W-50 but the Flash Point (which is the temp that the oil gives off vapors and begins to deteriorate) is 65 degrees higher (holds up at 518* F for an hour before breaking down) than Amsoil. This is about as good as it gets. Available locally for $ 8.99/qt. It's the good stuff. The king of synthetics.

"Mobil 1 20W-50 motorcycle oil contains 25% more antiwear and antioxidant additives than regular 15W-50 Mobil 1 "to meet the higher demands of air-cooled engines and their higher operating temperatures"

Mobil 1 20W-50 motorcycle oil is completely shear stable and will maintain a high 50 weight viscosity, while regular Mobil 1 will exhibit some shear loss in motorcycle applications.

They also mention that compared to other brands of synthetics, the Mobil 1 motorcycle oil is less likely to form deposits, and has a 3 times cleaner performance rating".

According to Mobil this is their best formulation ever and while not specifically rated for marine use is to be used in any application where extreme heat and shear may occur. Harley air-cooled V-Twins certainly fit that application. It has lots of corrosion inhibitors and perfect for engines that are stored prolonged periods of time. It's the absolute best of the best and equal in performance to their jet engine synthetic lubes. Mobil has a great customer tech line. If you have any questions as I did; I called and the petrochemical engineer spent 15 minutes answering my questions and encouraged further calls. Unlike some companies that have reps Mobil will put you through to the petrochemical engineering staff. If you are into racing they will even blend custom formulations. Also, they said the 4-ball "test" that competitors use and then rate scar are totally useless in gasoline engine real case scenerios. All a bunch of **** and nothing but smoke and mirrors. No correlation has yet been established between the 4-Ball Wear Test and field service, so individual results should not be used to predict field performance That's a statement coming form a government test evaluator. If you want to read more here is the site they directed me to: http://www.usbr.gov/power/data/fist/fist2_4/2_4_13.htm

There is no question in my mind who the leader is. Buying oil online or from a neighbors garage is a joke.

Contact info:

Base-stocks Marketing Manager or
Specialties Marketing Manager, Americas
ExxonMobil
3225 Gallows Road
Fairfax, VA 22037 USA
Telephone: 1 703 846 3000
Facsimile: 1 703 846 5666