Notices

Losing prop blades

Old 06-22-2004, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Losing prop blades

one common cause for this is over trimming. a prop acts kinda like a screw, it twist through the water and creates foward push, but if you are trimmed 2 high the prop is no longer screwing through the water but instead the blades are actually slapping against the water creating a tremendous stress on the blades. this may not be the case in your situation, but food for thought.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn Huge you beat me to it! If you are running your X real high like surfacing the props they will throw them!
Old 06-22-2004, 09:29 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Bravo shop just went thru the drives about a year ago. so should be good there . I dont feel any high spots in he bearrings and before I sent them I put a dial indicator on them to ck prop run out . I know this is not the best way but it would tell me if it was out a lot.

The props are stock never touch. Post 1 prop just happened and looks like it tore in the same area as the one in post 2 . In post 2 the 2nd pick the crack in the blade is in the exact same place as the torn blade next to it ,

The factory test report on speed on the boat the trim was set at 2.75 on the indacators . The highest I have trimed it is 3 so I dont think thats it.

I have never cavitated these props and I was told you can tell by it will look sand blasted if it is burned. They look still polished .

The x din is stock but i am sure the Hustlers are high.

I talked to Joe at Hustler and he said sometimes it happens and to just send them back to merc and they should warrenty them if they dont show any nicks or impact. So I should be OK.

I allready ordered a new one so I want miss this weekend .

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 06-22-2004 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Rob
VIP Member

More damage . I got to checking out the rest of the drive and found the hinge pin sheard off .I had a Snap On screw extractor set and lucky me was able to get the broke screws out. The hp style that has the 2 10/32 screws that hold it on.Non sender type, I guess the vibration from the prop blade make it break Has anybody broke one of these ??

The new style has 4 - 1/4 screws holding them in.It must be a reason why they changed.

Rob

Old 09-08-2004, 12:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when we lab or thin the bravo ones, at times not all air pockets pop up leaving a big hole which was there from the get go. it sucks,we end up cutting the entire area out and fill with weld usually we don't have any problems in that area again.BOTTOM LINE IS, IT'S POOR CASTING AND QUALITY CONTROL.I have never had this happen to a mirage except one that was very thin running 700 plus hp.If the prop is not nicked or damaged ,Merc will replace it IN TIME.SO I have heard,also they are way out of balance and need to be balanced ,you may not feel the vibration ,but if there is a void and out of balance like they are and I see everyday,THEY WILL OPEN UP AND BREAK under tremendous stress from running.ALWAYS INSPECT YOUR PROPS AFTER EACH USE.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think glh has sheared his pins, not sure. you might want to pm him. stecz
Old 09-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

wait till you throw a blade off one of these, I thought the boat was going to come apart from the vibration.
Attached Thumbnails Losing prop blades-broke-prop.jpg  
Old 09-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Rob
VIP Member

This weekend it happened again on the new prop. So that makes 3 that has done this . The crack is in the exact same place on the blades the others.Seems to happen when I run hard for about 10 minutes flat water. Its not hitting anything and I am not over trimming it.No nicks and not even any sand scratches.At least I caught this one before it chunked it any Ideas ?? This one I bought it in June of last year . Mercury said tuff sh*t.To buy more stock in Mercury
Attached Thumbnails Losing prop blades-prop-9-7-04-012.jpg  

Old 09-08-2004, 02:29 PM
Rob
VIP Member

This is the blade next to it. New crack about .325 long just started
Attached Thumbnails Losing prop blades-prop-9-7-04-003.jpg  

Old 09-08-2004, 02:37 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 09-08-2004 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Losing prop blades

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.