Notices

Losing prop blades

Old 06-22-2004, 12:16 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down Losing prop blades,AGAIN

This past weekend On the Royal Purple poker run I chunked another blade. This is the second time . I did not hit anything and there is not a scratch on the prop.It is on my 388 Hustler standard bravo one . Why do you think this happens??

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Losing prop blades-prop-blade-6-04-003.jpg   Losing prop blades-prop-blade-6-04-004.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 09-08-2004 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:27 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Default Re: Losing prop blades

This is the same kind of prop that did the same thing last year. Again no damage from impact and on this one it looks like the blade just cracked and tore off . The blade next to it has a crack starting in the exact same place as where the other tore

I know the Hustler has a high x dimensions but does any of the others have had this problem?
Attached Thumbnails Losing prop blades-bolixi-race-prop-etc-028.jpg   Losing prop blades-bolixi-race-prop-etc-024.jpg   Losing prop blades-bolixi-race-prop-etc-026.jpg  

Old 06-22-2004, 12:27 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

Was this before or after lunch? It looks to me like someone was still hungry after the lunch stop.

Perhaps the Skeg Monster has begun dining on SS prop blades now? It has been a while since he reared his ugly head.

Sorry I have no good answer for your prop issues.
Was this the same prop you lost a blade off of before, and had it fixed? (Bad fix job.)
Was this the matched pair to the one you originally broke? (Monday or Friday set of props, and you just did not get a good batch.)
Was this a replacement prop for the one you chunked before? (No fricking clue.)
Old 06-22-2004, 12:29 AM
Rob
VIP Member

The best price I have found so far with out a hub is 415.00 .What do you think?Do you think merc would warranty these?

Old 06-22-2004, 12:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

didn't they have some bad ones made in a batch I thought I read here
Old 06-22-2004, 12:46 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Was this before or after lunch? It looks to me like someone was still hungry after the lunch stop.

Perhaps the Skeg Monster has begun dining on SS prop blades now? It has been a while since he reared his ugly head.

Sorry I have no good answer for your prop issues.
Was this the same prop you lost a blade off of before, and had it fixed? (Bad fix job.)
Was this the matched pair to the one you originally broke? (Monday or Friday set of props, and you just did not get a good batch.)
Was this a replacement prop for the one you chunked before? (No fricking clue.)

They where new in 4-02 125 hours. The Rh prop thru a blade last year and I just bought a new one . Not repaired.

The left hand one broke this Saturday when we where running a bout 70mph across the causeway and I never felt anything until came off plane .It had a bad vibration at idle and getting on plane . It made about 200 rpm difference.

Old 06-22-2004, 04:45 AM
Registered

unfortunately, mercury props are just not that good. they're pretty fast and relatively cheap but not the most durable props out there. we've busted a number of mercury cleavers in exact same way, no impact just threw a blade. never had this happen with rolla props but they're much more expensive too. i guess the answer is simply the fact that you're dealing with a product which has a limited life expectancy...
Old 06-22-2004, 04:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harmonic vibraton may be your problem. The prop shaft may be slightly bent resuslting in whipping of your prop blades. I have seen it happen on Arnesons and occassionally on a #6. Drop your lower and have the bearings, races and and prop shaft checked. Check porp shaft for "TIR" total indicator runout. Also have the spacers checked to make sure everything is "tight" and there is no float between the gears.

$415 for a replacement prop is pretty good.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:25 AM
Registered

good stuff, expresscat... quite possibly harmonics but wouldn't he feel vibrations at all times even if the propshaft is bent very slightly? I've had this with Arnesons and Trimax drives where the damage was minimal following an impact but I still experienced massive amounts of vibration, especially with Arnesons.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

and you thought it was a plug wire

Quick Reply: Losing prop blades

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.