Notices

NY Reality Check

Old 06-22-2004, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NY Reality Check

Thanks for the info. I honestly thought a 40' Skater and a 42' OL would be in the same price range at 125mph. I stand corrected.

Dean
Old 06-22-2004, 11:04 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I know I wouldn't do NYC w/ my 24ft boat.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Banned

Speaking of poker runs being canceled, I've heard, though I haven't confirmed it yet, that the poker run scheduled for this weekend in St Pete has been canceled at the last minute. I don't have the reasons yet.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not so sure the price difference between a 40 skater and a 42 OL are that different. New, with the same power and #6 drives I bet they are pretty damn close. Of course the Skater will be faster, but cost is probably pretty close.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:21 AM
Registered

I have gone to the NYC poker run the last 3 years and the SBI race for the same.. The first two in my little 232 baja,,, I was amazed to have the guy from Typhoon racing come up to me and say, hey nice boat,, I wanna get something like this,, I was like what ? are you kidding,, nope, me and the family would love it... Then at this years poker run I got SEVERAL thumbs up, one from the guys in the OSO SWIPES boat, and several hey thats a nice boat,, i'm like yah uh uh so is yours,, this comming from a guy in a boat that cost 7 - 10 times more than our new 288.. I find the BIG boys a bit intimidating, BUT, they started in order of top speeds and NOBODY would need to feel inadequate there,, the guys in the million dollar boats are just as friendly as the guys in the 100,000 dollar boats, and will talk your ear off all day about boating. The main reason I would not do the NYC poker run is flat out price,, I can't see spending 550.00 bucks to run from the statue of liberty to croton and back, I can do that on a weekly basis if I wanted..
Old 06-22-2004, 11:28 AM
Registered

Entry fees are cover charge to get in the party.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:34 AM
Registered

Dreamboater - I was thinking the same thing and that's the only reason I asked. On another thread about the NYC Poker Run, a lot of people were talking about the expense of an OL. I see just as many if not more big cats that I thought cost about the same. And I am definitely not saying one is worth more than the other or better than the other.

Dean
Old 06-22-2004, 11:39 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 388Hustler
Dreamboater - I was thinking the same thing and that's the only reason I asked. On another thread about the NYC Poker Run, a lot of people were talking about the expense of an OL. I see just as many if not more big cats that I thought cost about the same. And I am definitely not saying one is worth more than the other or better than the other.

Dean
I would have to say (assume) it was not about the power but speed. It cost less to power the cat to acheive the same results.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:42 AM
Jan
Member "69" Charter #70
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Chris288
The main reason I would not do the NYC poker run is flat out price,, I can't see spending 550.00 bucks to run from the statue of liberty to croton and back, I can do that on a weekly basis if I wanted..

Chris, I think you said it, the entry fees can be a killer. I have talked with many high dollar boat owners and I feel they are no different than most of us. But $300 dollars and up just to enter, plus the previous mentioned gas, lodging, food, and drink = $1000.00 plus weekend. That is 3 or 4 weekends of great boating here in SC.

Jan
Old 06-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by d-hlaw
Quote: "My family loves them and it's a great way for me to learn how to drive a performance boat in the slop. I'm usually conservative and poker runs show me what the boat can do. "

This is the problem!! Poker runs are not where you should be learning to drive in the slop with your family on board. Think about this..... you misjudge a wake or get slapped around and eject a person from your boat, guess what is coming up behind you...... about 50 inexperienced ego maniacs trying to get to the front. Add to that the fact that usually poker runners are not wearing the appropriate vests or safety gear and you have a tragedy waiting to happen. I love running hard and I love performance boating but I am pretty sick of the "Poser Run" scene and the reckless driving that seems to accompany them. If you think you have skills then sign up for P class and learn. Sure is funny that the guys that run hardest at "Poker Races" wont even consider racing in controlled conditions with the correct safety protocols in place.........
If I thought for one second I was putting my family at risk I wouldn't run. The poker runs I go on are with people I mostly know through my local club. I'm usually running at the rear of the pack and only run 50mph. We have a ball.

Now, I do agree with you if I was on a NY type poker run. I would be safety rigged for racing and would only have an experienced crew (my single friends ).

I do want to race. I close on a 34 Sea Ray tomorrow. That's going to be my family barge. I'm selling the Sonic and then I'm buying race boat. My goal is to race P5 in OPA within the next couple of years. Can't wait. Time and money will dictate when that will happen.

Quick Reply: NY Reality Check

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.