Notices

NY Reality Check

Old 06-22-2004, 11:52 AM
WickedWon

Default Re: NY Reality Check

Originally Posted by dreamboater
I am not so sure the price difference between a 40 skater and a 42 OL are that different. New, with the same power and #6 drives I bet they are pretty damn close. Of course the Skater will be faster, but cost is probably pretty close.
A 39' MTI will run 125mph with a Bravo package, I know cause Randy Scism squarely kicked my ass with one last year. At 105 mph he just freak'n left It takes less than 1600 total hp to push a 40' Skater 125mph, it takes 2200hp + to push an 42' OL. Those packages are totally different to buy and maintain, in addition the cat is much easier on the whole driveline, the maintenance is a lot less.

Old 06-22-2004, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OPA will be glad to have another racer and from the guys that I have met they are a class act! Have fun and be safe.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanspeedracer
JD,

I agree. I'm not a fan of the drama, either. I would like to enter a poker run eventually, but as I read the posts of the NYC run I can't begin to think that my
"75 mph" would get in the way of the faster ones.
When I raced motocross, I loved it but I expected a race. There is no way I would want subject my family and friends (my 20 year old boat, either) to an event that becomes an endurance run.
Go to Seneca Lake this weekend or to the WNY Fun Run. Also, NJPPC events have EVERYTHING and NO BOAT is discriminated against! First class operation all the way and EVERYONE is really cool. Wanna ride in a 40 Skater...just ask Fusco...he'll take you gladly. Wanna ride in an OL...ask JusTruckin or Excavator. 24 Skater more your speed? Come on with me! Their are some GREAT oprganizations that do NOT care what boat you have or how much you make. All they care is that you operate your boat responsibly and have a good time and respect others! Kinda what we shouls do everyday anyway!
Old 06-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 388Hustler
Thanks for the info. I honestly thought a 40' Skater and a 42' OL would be in the same price range at 125mph. I stand corrected.

Dean
Consider that a 36' Skater with twin 500's is a 100+ mph boat, a Top Gun with that power is maybe 80-85 mph? And the costs go up exponentially, not linearly, the faster you go. Crazy stuff, I can't imagine the kind of dough that goes in to some of these rigs.

New Merc 1075's, only $150K each. Of course, they come with a #6 drive...
Old 06-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shane
Go to Seneca Lake this weekend or to the WNY Fun Run. Also, NJPPC events have EVERYTHING and NO BOAT is discriminated against! First class operation all the way and EVERYONE is really cool. Wanna ride in a 40 Skater...just ask Fusco...he'll take you gladly. Wanna ride in an OL...ask JusTruckin or Excavator. 24 Skater more your speed? Come on with me! Their are some GREAT oprganizations that do NOT care what boat you have or how much you make. All they care is that you operate your boat responsibly and have a good time and respect others! Kinda what we shouls do everyday anyway!
Shane, that is awsome that you boat with such a lax group of people. I wish it was like that here.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:27 PM
Registered

Now I think you guys are missing my point.

How much would it cost to buy a new 40' Skater with 800HP/side and 6's. (sorry, but I would not buy one without 6's)
I still don't see how in the world you could buy the above package for half the price of a 42' OL with 1100HP/side and 6's.

My point is simply that there have been extremely expensive and fast big cats at all these poker runs for years and people didn't really mind. Hell, I bet there were at least 5 or 6 big cats over $500K and 140mph at the Lake Cumberland poker run 3-4 years ago. I can think of 2 there that were probably $1M. I couldn't count the number last year.

I'm just trying to figure out what the big deal is now that a V runs that fast and may cost a little dough.

I also agree that the bigger poker runs cost too much. It's all about supply and demand.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:30 PM
knotpropr

388Hustler - EXACTLY!

Old 06-22-2004, 02:04 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

From the "Run what ya brung partiticpant"

Hey, Ive been to every NY Poker run Billy has had and this was one of the better ones. The water was actually calmer compared to most other years - the Hudson is always pretty crazy at the start.

I go just to be among the OLs and other sickness that shows up. I have no problem at all with 1mil + boats. I still ran my "stinky Baja" full throttle the whole way. 75mph might be all I got, but I did not get any disrespect either.

Most of the guys with the bigger better boats are pretty cool and dug talking about their boats. I spent $550.00 plus another 350.00 on gas, which was worth it IMHO.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:00 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

This one could have gotten you there for less than $440K.

I just wouldn't run NY because I've never done a PR before and would want to start w/ one that wasn't as chaotic. All that backwash in the Hudson must make some mess. I would think it would be more fun to run one in the open ocean, where the waves come at a natural frequency.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:11 PM
Registered

Very nice boat and it is 8 years old for that $. Imagine what a 2005 model would cost. I would be afraid to guess...

Quick Reply: NY Reality Check

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.