Notices

NY Reality Check

Old 06-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NY Reality Check

The two most fun poker runs this year were one that was FREE, and one that was $75. Both of them had about the same prizes that our normal priced one's do.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Banned

No bs, this guy was the first at all stops except the first one. He skipped the first stop, and then was first at all other stops, including one that was at a cruiser two miles out in the gulf. A classic case of the tortoise vs the hare. He said he and his wife received a flyer from Thunder Marine and thought it sounded like fun, besides, it was free. That morning when we were milling to start, he wondered what the hell he'd gotten into! He won the most enthusiastic award.
Attached Thumbnails NY Reality Check-saraota-pra-04-034.jpg  
Old 06-22-2004, 06:43 PM
Registered

To be honest I am one of these guys with a 25', 55 MPH boat who is intmidated to run in something like the NYC run...Yes I do love the high doller hardware that these guys bring...My girlfriend says I was like a kid in a candy store when walking around the docks this year...but I feel this is not the place for me to be mixed up in for safety reasons. I think these guys are entitled to all be there as long as the law allows them to be on the water why shouldn't they be...they are entitled as much as anyone else,I mean this is the dam SUPER BOWL of performance boating for god sake. I also feel that it is up to the organizes of these events (if they want to keep these events around) to hold more smaller runs or take a little time to send out seperate waves of boats with equal capabilities to make guys like me a little more comfortable in joining in on the FUN!!
Old 06-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
So who says we have to play by the Super Ego Weeners rules. I think we should get a bunch of us together. All throw in 50 bucks. Do our own "fun" poker run and who ever has the best card, wins the pot. Dont need no stinking press releases, no drama, no membership cards required. Just throw in 50 bucks and hit all 5 spots.

So, any suggestions of which 5 bars and a good local to do this??
This sounds like a great idea, something my slow 62 mph boat can handle too.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Banned

Maybe we can get Russ (Formula Outlaw) to head up another one. He did a great job on the one he ran earlier this year.

Russ with the Mayor of Sarasota.
Attached Thumbnails NY Reality Check-paint-056.jpg  
Old 06-22-2004, 07:42 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: NY Reality Check

we did the Jacksonville poker run have been all three years love it but it is priced to where there are big boats and small ones even with it priced right i probably spent 13 to 1400 hundred bucks with gas motel food and travel and i would do it again but when the entree fee gets to 5 or 6 hundred i will stay home fun has a price and i don't mind paying for it but at some point you have to say thats high enough but i would have loved to have just been on the dock in N.Y. to see all the hardware that is the differences in men and boys and i am a boy in that world
Old 06-22-2004, 08:37 PM
Registered

As far as this getting out of hand, I'll go back to a post Mr. WickedWon posted a while back, it cost about $2000.00 an hour to run these things, geeze after 10 hours I coulda bought a car! I personally look at it from a FUN issue, do I want to go out and bang rub rails with other boaters on these "WILD" poker runs, HELL NO! That's why I like to do the smaller, less crowded and more civilized. I think THAT is the reason for the lack of interest in the BIG runs. Just my 0.02, Jim.

As far as the lanier run goes, I don't you'll have very many people, if ANY sighning up at $400.00 plus per boat, I KNOW I'm NOT, I never make to any of the "before" or "after" parties anyway.

Robert
Old 06-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Registered

Doesn't Billy start the boats according to speed? I believe he did last year. When they do them that way they work out fine.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
So who says we have to play by the Super Ego Weeners rules. I think we should get a bunch of us together. All throw in 50 bucks. Do our own "fun" poker run and who ever has the best card, wins the pot. Dont need no stinking press releases, no drama, no membership cards required. Just throw in 50 bucks and hit all 5 spots.

So, any suggestions of which 5 bars and a good local to do this??
That is EXACTLY what GLH's Lake Champlain Milk Run is!
Old 06-22-2004, 11:47 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran in the '99 & '01 NYC run. Granted I wasn't the Captain, just a passenger. To many boats in the same place on a river at the same time!! 200 plus in '99!!! This year I went as a spectator, I had more fun this year, hanging out with my family and just watching!! (And the food was MUCH better than the other years )

My wife and I have entered the Thunder on the Bay poker run on the Chesapeake Bay. They limit the run to 75 boats. The big guys get out first, then they let the other classes go. Great Run, Great food, 2 parties all inclusive, lunch stop Great food included, breakfast at Annies included, and slips for 2 nights. $600.00 The run was cancelled this year. Hope it comes back next year. By the way we were the smallest boat in the run last year......and the first year the smallest boat was a 16-18 ft. Donzi. This year we are sticking with the smaller runs and Rally's.

What I'm getting at is run what you brung, you're still boating right? Isn't that what it's all about? Love the big stuff (Hell I put up with Jersey City traffic just to see the boats at the Marina!!!) and love all the other stuff right down to that maniac Sharkey!!

Quick Reply: NY Reality Check

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.