Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bird Sh!t.......... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/81818-bird-sh-t.html)

magnuman 06-22-2004 02:54 PM

Re: Bird Sh!t..........

The vineyards in Napa valley string up red and silver mylar streamers to keep the birds away.

RollWithIt 06-22-2004 04:45 PM

Pigeons and Ducks.... Ha. I wish that was the extent of bird problems at my families marina. We have those lovely beautiful Geese. You know, the ones everybody takes pictures of as they fly over and swim by. Bet these people never had to deal with all the crap the geese leave around. We have to clean up the docks daily and you need to mow the lawn to get rid of it there. 50 Geese make a huge mess.

tomtbone1993 06-22-2004 05:55 PM

Get a couple of fake owls, thats what we use at the office.

Hydrocruiser 06-22-2004 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by JUST ONCE
My old neighbor used to get sick of all the duck **** around his docks, he started throwing thunderbombs and m80's at them (didn't hurt the geese) just scared the hell out of them. they stay away now, but he did this for a while.

Just call 1-800-demolition

Hydrocruiser 06-22-2004 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
Get a couple of fake owls, thats what we use at the office.

We have a couple of secretaries who look like fake owls. No wonder the place is spotless!

Out There 06-22-2004 08:25 PM

Joe, Have seen the fishing wire used with success around resorts at pool and bar areas. I think the birds fly into it at first then finally go away.
I had a small problem with small birds coming in overnight and leaving a mess on my cover. No actual visible nests but small mess every morning.
Finally hung a three foot rubber snake with its head hanging down from the roof framework. It moves around with normal dock motion and looks realistic. Problem
solved. Still have occational ducks on the dock and will get another snake to lay on the dock.
Good luck, Greg

Panic Button 06-22-2004 08:31 PM

We have a major pigeon problem around the house. We use Decon, the stuff for mice and rats, the pigeons eat it up and die. Works like a champ, and a pellet gun just for some sport shooting....

Strip Poker 388 06-22-2004 09:03 PM

We had a pigeon problem on our covered Pier once . We use to get drunk and shoot them at night with a pellet gun and a mag flash light .Just let them hit the water and the catfish would eat them.some would charge us and The girls would laugh at us.
One day I shot one and it died up in the rafters and the pigeons would not come around the dead body :D No more pigeons for about 2 years . . :D

They bleed alot also :(

Our new Pier has had a spider problem but this year the purple martins have been eating them .Not as much spider **** and as many mosquito's and the martins don't make much mess either.A little trade off

SOX 06-22-2004 10:17 PM

Joe, If you can reach the areas the birds are perched on when they take aim on you boat try "Hot Foot". It is a clear paste that you put on the perch and it (obviously) makes the birds feet burn and they fly away. I was on a roof once and accidentally put my hand in it. I didn't see one bird on that roof...ever! I'll try to get info on it but you may want to try a janitorial supply or something??? In the mean time...

TAKE AIM!!! :blaster:

US1 Fountain 06-22-2004 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pantera572
Still have occational ducks on the dock and will get another snake to lay on the dock.

A friend had problems with ducks crapping on his water level platform on his houseboat. Layed a couple plastic snakes there and all was fine for a couple of weeks, until they found duck chit on one of the snakes. Funny as hell!