Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Installing those snaps that hold your covet down? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/81819-installing-those-snaps-hold-your-covet-down.html)

KN 06-22-2004 12:56 PM

Installing those snaps that hold your covet down?

I need to install two new snaps on my boat. ( the one's that hold the cockpit cover down, they are around a #10 size screw about 3/4 long ) My concern is if I just drill a pilot hole and screw them in the will eventually loosen up and pull out. Do you put some epoxy or adhesive in the pilot hole to help hold these things in?

Thanks, Kirk

MitchStellin 06-22-2004 01:02 PM

Re: Installing those snaps that hold your covet down?

I just put 10 in for my floor carpet. They make a self tapping snap screw, I just started using a drill and the screw cut it's own hole. It worked great and made a perfect hole.

rainmn 06-22-2004 01:47 PM

Wouldn't hurt to squeeze a little 4200 or 5200 in the hole or on the screw threads to keep down the possibility of water seepage. (Especially on a floor.)

cgarrett 06-23-2004 12:10 AM

before you drill put some tape over the area to keep it from chiping or cracking.

Cordell

MitchStellin 06-23-2004 01:28 AM

Also I found if you make a little dimple the screw won't walk on you. I used another drill and a small bit, helped getting it started also, not so tippy.

Shah Mat 06-23-2004 04:20 AM

Has anyone ever used pop rivits? Someone told me they did with success, but I wonder. I have a few snap holes that are worn and the screws won't tighten.

tewks 06-23-2004 07:15 AM

Not sure its a recommended practice, but I used bondo when my cover snaps started loosening up. If you have access to the back of the panel where the screw is located, just squeeze some putty into the threads from underneath. Helps to turn the screw once or twice to pull the putty up into the hole. Then put a piece of tape on top of the screw to hold it down tight while the putty cures. You'll never know they were ever loose.

McGary911 06-23-2004 08:15 AM

If you have the access, i would thru bolt them with a lock-nut. This was done on my boat, and I have only had 2 loosen up. The ones that still only had screws. They will get thru bolted this weekend. After you drill the holes, it helps to soften the sharp edges of the hole with some abrasive or a tiny countersink bit. Gel cracks LOVE to start at the sharp edges of drilled holes.
I've also thought about pop rivets, using a washer on the other side. Anyone ever try this method?

Joe 06-23-2004 08:58 AM

Start by running the drill in reverse (counter-clockwise). Then, reverse it to fwd (clockwise) and drill your hole. This stops the drill bit from walking across your fiberglass.

I learned this from my boat mechanic. Thanks, Travis!

Joe