Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boats are really beginning to suck (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/81856-boats-really-beginning-suck.html)

Lofty 06-24-2004 07:18 PM

Re: Boats are really beginning to suck

Nice Formula Greg. Big boats are just a ***** to sell. At least you're not on the left coast where they're impossible to sell.

I just went through the second set of motors in 2 years... I tried going cheap the first time around.

A friend just coughed up a 575 in his brand new boat. Warranty wont cover it. Just the way performance boats go. The stuff breaks just as easy new as it does used.

Hang in there.

Comanche3Six 06-24-2004 08:37 PM

You will either love it and endure it or you will let it go

Mr Gadgets 06-24-2004 09:08 PM

Greg,
Just hang in there!! It goes in cycles!! Believe me I know. Had a bad spell that lasted three yrs. Owned two boats, new one wouldnt run, then the drive broke and then the motor again and again. But now things look better, all I have done this year is general maintenance!! So it will come to you, just be patient and dont stress, I did and I am due to leave this earth a few years earlier than I was originally suppose. Just think of all the boating I will miss.. hmmm
So dont stress my friend, it will come to you and it will be GREAT!! :) :)

GregP 06-25-2004 07:29 AM

Dick,

I know you went through a lot of troubles, glad yours is finally running well. I'm sure I'll get it worked out, it's just that it is taking up SO much of my time (I can't even find time to work on my Corvette).

I'm not having any luck finding someone to come out and look at the starting problem, so guess I'll pound on it somemore this weekend and see if I may any progress. I got the Yamaha factory service manual, but of course to check any of the electrics you need special service harness adapters which I don't have. The one mechanic I talked to who seems honest (and said he really doesn't do Yamaha's and doesn't have any of the manuals or service harness stuff either) said he'd start with cleaning the carbs (all six of them), so I guess I'll have a go at that.

At least I can sit comfortably on the transom with my feet on the bracket and work on it instead of being upside down in the bilge, so I guess I have made some progress ;)

-Greg

dyno 06-25-2004 07:39 AM

we all feel your pain!!!

WickedWon 06-25-2004 07:56 AM

Greg, a couple of possibilites

1. After a no start, pull the plugs and look for darker or wet plugs, that will narrow down the cylinder(s) which is dumping fuel, if they're all look the same... next

2. I can't remember if that year uses cold start solenoids for the enrichening valves or not, if it does disconnect the solenoid after it started and see if it's sticking.

My guess is you're going to find the bowls gummed and the needles not seating allowing fuel to trickle into the warm cylinders causing a flood condition. They're really easy to work on just be very careful with the carb gaskets cause they are hard to get. I haven't fooled with carbed Yam's in years but I doubt your problem is electrical if they run well after a cold start, it's going to be fuel related and the best part about carbs is that they're just parts and pieces, no " magic". Commit 2 hours and you'll find it, the Jap Crap is really easy to work on.

JD

GregP 06-25-2004 08:08 AM

JD,

Yes, it has solenoids on each carb and a separate fuel pump. The manual gives an "emergency" procedure for won't start hot to pull the plug on the pump. I'm going to try to pull and clean the solenoids and passages (there is a filter screen for each one that it says to back-flush) if I can get a wrench on them, can't use a deepwell socket due to the leads and plug (or I might have to sacrifice a socket and cut a slot in it to allow the wires to pass, like an O2 socket).

I was going to send a note to ask you a question anyway. The way the new throttles were set up there is a deadband at the start. I'm sure it's a leftover from the old single stick where the first movement was shift, then the throttle starts. I can see on the engines where there is a roller and slot linkage to allow an intial cable movement without actually moving the throttle blades. I'm thinking of either seeing if there is enough travel in the intermediate link to remove that initial slot travel, or adding a pin to "shorten" the slot. Was wondering what they did on your motors when they rigged the throttles.

Thanks - Greg

fund razor 06-25-2004 08:25 AM

Mr. Gadgets (Dick?)

Thanks for that post. I have been stressing too much.
It has affected my health to the point that I am a fiber eating 38 year old with diverticulitis.

Your post was exactly what I needed to hear.

And hang in there Greg. Add me to the list of people who would love that Formula if my situation were different.
It ain't the boat or the price. You will find a buyer.

And you will get past the problems, and move on to easier days.

My "new" boat is almost done after 6 weeks and $3,500.

My old boat looks like its going to become a canadian next week. So I guess that my situation is getting better. Hope yours does too.

WickedWon 06-25-2004 09:05 AM

I'll check how Concept handled the throttle " dead zone" when I get up to the boat tomorrow.

BTW are the mussels still as good as they used to be at McGarvey's ? Man I miss sitting at that back bar, had some great times and food there.

JD

GregP 06-25-2004 09:08 AM

Thanks. Never been to McGarveys, usually hit Griffins or Middleton's. Guess I'll add it to my "to try" list.

-Greg