Notices

Oil Change Question

Old 06-24-2004, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Question

I am doing this tonight, I suck the oil from the bottom of the pan thru a hose attached to the drain plug. I hear you should run the motor to temp and then dump the oil, my ? is why not just start sucking and leave the crud that settles in the pan there so it is first out the hose? Warm oil will flow better but my pump will suck a golf ball thru a hose so I am not worried about that. Plus you would have to wait 1/2 an hour for all the oil to settle again. What gives? The real problem is the weather, it is 55 and raining so I can't run to boat outside and although it fits in the garage and I have drains I will still be shooting water everywhere and the exhaust will enter the house, even with the doors closed. Inquiring minds want to know. One more, why is the drain for the drives behind the props? What a pain, it used to be on the lower for my 1989 B1s, these are 1995 B1s. Also, I don't see a hole in the upper to see the oil is to the top, do you open the top cap to see this? Thanks, this the first time on this boat and it is different from the Donzi.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Re: Oil Change Question

The reason you warm it up, is to
get the "crud" suspended in the oil.

It ( the crud)will then be more apt to come
out with the old oil.

Plus, warm oil flows faster than cold
oil. ( I know thats not a problem in your case, though)

I imagine the drain plug location was changed for
hydrodynamic reasons.

You will have a level plug on the r/h side of the
upper unit.

jt
Old 06-24-2004, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil Change Question

Well, I just did the first oil change for this boat. Always a little slow the first time but from here on out it is all second nature. I ended up taking the boat to the ramp and running it for 10 min the drove home (1/4 mile) and sucked it out. The Sure Flow worked great, about 3 min each and safe in a can, too bad it can't take both at once, it is a little short of holding two engines worth. I am sure they will be happy with M1 flowing thru it's veins, it made me feel good just dumping it in. I couldn't believe I have 43 hours this year, I could break 100 if this pace keeps up. Next are the drives, I found the hole on the upper, thanks, it was behind a plate for the steering, I can still get to it though What do you do with the reservoir? Won't that leak down also. I have never had these and they seem like a pain, one leaked and I removed it and plugged it with a bolt and clamp. Maybe the other is next. That should do it for 1/2 year, all done myself, for free, and done right. No worrying about forgotten bolts, loose parts, plus it is fun and I learn the boat. I hope to get another 10 hours this weekend