Notices

I can't get a break

Old 07-13-2004, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't get a break

It was a nice low tide last weekend so I took the oportunity to instal the leg lift bolts in the old bottom-standing boat lift that we are having removed (as soon as a piling guy will ACTUALLY SHOW UP!). I apparently forgot to attach the third line on the work float, and since I installed the lift bolts I had also removed the leg upper extension. Naturally we had a nice high tide the last couple of days and the floating dock drifted over the old boat lift, tore off one float and is stuck on top of the lift.

I have no idea where the float is (be on the lookout for a black 2'x4' floating debris in the Chesapeake) and the dock is much to heavy to lift off, especially since I have to swim or use my canoe to lift from, can't get the big boat that far in to shore on that side of the dock. The next high tide is 5am (lovely timing), so I won't get a chance to try moving it at high tide for a couple of days. And if I do get it off it will of course sink in the one corner where the float is missing.

I can't have them do all the work I had scheduled on the new boat's sick motor on Thursday, because they would need the dock float. Checked a couple of web sites that say it could take a couple of weeks to get new ones shipped (I bought the originals direct from the mfgr, Premier, but now their web site says they only do distributor sales, another lovely addition).

I'm beginning to think that it's time to sell this place and move far, far, away from any kind of water. I'm really getting fed up with $__t going wrong all the time.

[Rant off]
Old 07-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Registered

Default Re: I can't get a break

Oh man, Greg, you just don't have any luck. Did you by chance used to live on the West Coast and go by the name NickSlick? (OSO oldtimers will catch the reference )
Old 07-13-2004, 10:06 PM
Registered

Trust me, we have the exact same type of luck.

"If it wasn't for bad luck,
I wouldn't have no luck at all".

Eric Clapton
Old 07-14-2004, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Know just how you feel its not we can't get a break its just we have do many DAMM things going on and they will break. Just make sure you keep looking for a new day.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by dockrocker
Oh man, Greg, you just don't have any luck. Did you by chance used to live on the West Coast and go by the name NickSlick? (OSO oldtimers will catch the reference )

Hang in there! It will get better.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:43 AM
Registered

Just remembered something my mother used to say:

"Someone once told me to 'cheer up, things could be worse', so I cheered up and sure enough things got worse".

Sometimes it's just "joss".
Old 07-14-2004, 07:12 AM
Registered

That sucks man, I'm off this week. Wish I lived closer. I would have been happy to take the Formula out and find that float!

Hang in there man. Statistically speaking, you will have to catch a break soon.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:14 AM
Registered

I got up at 5am, local high tide (lovely time to go swimming), and was able to get the dock off the other lift. Now of course I still need to wait for a new float ... unless someone finds mine out there somewhere. If I get ambitious I'll take the canoe and search out our creek and see if I can find the float, but finding a black plastic float that could easily be stuck under someones dock doesn't sound real promising.

-Greg
Old 07-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walk away slowly and it will be ok
Old 07-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw

"If it wasn't for bad luck,
I wouldn't have no luck at all".

Eric Clapton

Born Under a Bad Sign

Cream

Quick Reply: I can't get a break

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.