Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Does this sound like a Scam???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/82058-does-sound-like-scam.html)

TonyM 06-25-2004 09:12 AM

Does this sound like a Scam????

I get an email the other day about my 26 Velocity that is for sale on a few websites, from a guy saying that he is a boat broker from Great Britain and has a customer that is interested in my boat. He specializes in overseas purchases. I sent him some general info on the boat and some pics, he asked what my best price was so I emailed him back. THis is the email I got this morning:

How are you doing?My client was much impressed and he hopes that the boat is serviced and well kept too .He can't wait to see the boat.However,my client made out a cashier's check of ($19,000 ) before he travelled to japan on a business trip,for a previous boat and its shipment charges etc,but it was unfortunately sold.The amount on the check he deposited for the boat is bigger than what should be paid to you now, so the check is now meant for the total expenses which includes the purchase of your boat,the pick up of the boat from its present location and the shipping charges/other necessary shipping arrangements.However he has instructed us to carry on with this transaction. So you're required to deduct the cost of your boat ($13,000 )and send the balance of ($6,000 ) to my client via western union money transfer to enable him offsett shippingcharges/arrangements.once the transaction is concluded,My agent will be coming for the pick up of the boat from its present locatio n, on an open vehicle and then drive to a pre paid shipper for shipment while title papers and other necessary documets will be handed to the agent at the time of pick up.

Please Confirm this and provide name,address and phone
number for check payment to be delivered to you via courier .

Have a nice day.

His name is GOrdon Jackson and the company that he supposedly represents is called Oceanplanetz. Does anyone in GB know this company or individual?
Thanks,
Tony

Chris288 06-25-2004 09:16 AM

Re: Does this sound like a Scam????

I have a bridge I would like to sell you also... Ask Tim G. about people writiing checks for a bit too much and then refunding with legit funds and getting screwed out of your own money.. :mad:

I got basically the same responses when I sold my boat, and truck.

waterheater 06-25-2004 09:20 AM

Tony dont do it. I got one as well when i was selling my boat, but never heard from him again. There has been a TON of posts on here about that scam. Use the search and read what/how it works.

rchevelle71 06-25-2004 09:23 AM

Runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn Away!!!!!!!!!!!

thedonz 06-25-2004 09:52 AM

this is a classic scam that's been going around for years

TonyM 06-25-2004 09:54 AM

I just emailed him back to ask where and how the money was coming and also that I would have to wait until the check cleared before I could send back the difference, so we will see. I just called my bank and they said it would take 4-6 weeks for the check to clear and if it didn't I wouldn't be charged anything.

waterbum 06-25-2004 10:02 AM

Tell him to send the check. Then tell him he can come pick up the boat as soon as the funds actually clear all bank channels (about 4-6 weeks) and the cash is in your account to stay. After that time you will also refund the $6K. My guess is you will never hear back from him. But if it is legite, then your boat gets sold, you get paid, they get their $6K back, and everybody is happy.

Good luck.

Edited: WHoops, just saw your reply. Took me awhile to enter my post. Looks like your on track. If nothing else, have fun stringing a scammer along for awhile.

Cord 06-25-2004 10:11 AM

Tell him that if he sends you cash that you'll send a bogus cashiers check back.

Steamin Rice 06-25-2004 10:29 AM

Yes.....Scam.............

MitchStellin 06-25-2004 10:33 AM

This is a scam in the 10th degree. Play along, lets see this fool who plans on picking it up on an open trailer. That should be a good one. Then detain him for the authorities, after of course he tries to flee and you need to use bodily force to hold him. :) There are people who fall for this (sorry TimG) and they make money off of this. I would just keep playing until you get tired or he disappears. Good luck