Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Hey LOTO!  Sucks being without my boat so far this year! >

Hey LOTO! Sucks being without my boat so far this year!

Notices

Hey LOTO! Sucks being without my boat so far this year!

Old 06-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hey LOTO! Sucks being without my boat so far this year!

Thats pretty much the same story I had with Port Arrow Head...

Complete dumb azzes in the service department... Rack guys were great,, only 2 of them...

I have now found a new home with CP&R,, kudos to Scott & Ruben..

I was looking to dry store the Sutphen at Mungenast.., any word on the rack storage folks?

I just need Ruben & Scott to get the new building built so I can just leave it there...lol If you guys are lurking... get that new building up!
Old 06-29-2004, 03:01 PM
bmpnugls

Couldn't really tell you about the rack guys...other than I think all the "service techs" serve as "boat handlers" too....scary!!.. and I thought Mungenast was a good place, but I see now that the first time I have problems, rather than try to work with me to save valuable boating time, they (and every single person I've talked too - the service techs, Serivce manager(s), and General Manager) have all been real DICKS about the whole situation!!! as if they have no responsibility for this issue at ALL!!

I'm more pissed about loosing this valuable boating time than I am about the fact that they couldn't do their job right! if they would have been cooperative from the begining rather than start making excuses and denying things my boat could have been fixed long ago and I could be enjoying it right now!!!!

Old 06-29-2004, 09:11 PM
bmpnugls

Default Re:Looking for advise... Hey LOTO! Sucks being without my boat so far this year!

Sinkorswim,
What was your situation with Port Arrowhead....and how did you get it resolved...or did they take any responsibility?

Looking for any advise which might help get this resolved quicker...

Last edited by bmpnugls; 06-29-2004 at 09:13 PM.

Old 06-30-2004, 08:09 AM
Registered

I call that period of my life the boat "rookie" years. It was my first boat.. and I think every decsion I made was bad and that included using Port ArrowHead service department and a couple brothers in St. Charles .

I had a similar situation to where the boat did not get winterized properly and the oil cooler split.. thus allowing that lovely milking looking stuff to ooz all over the bilge. ArrowHead said it was because my boat was old.. anyway.. I said ok,, fix it.. well they soldered it twice before they ordered a new one.. and being a rookie I paid for all 3 service calls..

Whats really sad is that I knew one of the wealthy guys who had one of those million dollar Sea Rays, and he told me that everytime he has service work done on his boat he takes the day off and goes down and just babysitts the mechanics doing the work.. It is sad because he is serious... He called it piece of mind.

Anyway.. second boat has been a lot better,,, I researched what type of boat I could afford (wasn't much) and what type of boat would handle the water condtions at the LOTO: ended up with the little Sutphen..

also searched and searched...and thanks to a post on OSO I found Scott & Ruben at CP&R,, two guys,, not on the water,, no marinas, no sales.. no restaraunts,,, they just fix boats...

but to put it bluntly,, I didn't do squat.. probaly should have,, but at the time,, I was young, dumber than I am now and really didn't know what to do...
Old 06-30-2004, 10:14 AM
bmpnugls

Ya, I've thought of 'being there' for service work several times in the past...and should have this time, but with my new job, etc. I can't get the time off...or hell, I'd be doing it myself.....

BUT, thing is, these idiots didn't even listen to me when I requested that they 'diagnose' the engine water leak to begin with...I suggested to the service manager that they pressure check the oil cooler first (which they NEVER even touched), then the closed cooling system, then the exhaust manifolds, then a compression/leak down test.......THEY DIDN'T DO ANY OF IT!!!...and the 'technicians' just started taking parts off the engine - thinking they would eventually find the leak/crack!!!! AND DIDN'T EVEN START WITH THE SIMPLE STUFF - like the oil cooler or exhaust manifolds, etc...hell, when I went down to the boat to check on it...the carb., distributor, one of the exhaust manifolds, and the heat exchanger were all off!!, and the oil cooler was still attached!!! and they hadn't checked any of the stuff (like exh. manifolds) for leaks, and were preparing to take the heads off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Urgh!!!...that pisses me off!..

Old 06-30-2004, 10:57 AM
rookie_j

please, don't get me started about bad repair principals (just spent $1,200 on sealing lower unit oil leaks, because the shop did'nt replace a $.10 filler plug O-ring)

Old 06-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Registered

Sorry to hear it hasn't been resolved yet.
But it has been my experience at LOTO that 1) you do the work yourself, and 2) buy your parts out of Florida.
All too often, the guy fixing your boat is a "local" being payed a little over minimum wage. It's hard to get good help when you only have a 6 month work season.
Same is true for parts with a short season. I can usually fed ex parts from Fl a lot cheaper than buying locally.
I could go on for hours about these kind of horror stories.
BTW, since I learned 1 & 2 above, my boats have run every weekend.
My advice, document EVERYTHING, then do whatever it takes to get it running NOW and hire a lawyer to deal with Mungenast.
Gary
Old 06-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Registered

BTW, you and the "wife" than welcome to ride with me to the cove this weekend. You got my number.
Gary
Old 06-30-2004, 06:33 PM
bmpnugls

OK, thanks Gary....I think we may be going to Chicago for the weekend to see some friends...but, if we end up making it down there, I'll give you a call.... Looks like hopefully, I'll have the new engine in next week...

Old 06-30-2004, 10:28 PM
Registered

Dam that sucks I saw the Fountain last week at the Toad looked good I took the plunge moved down here. And now work at a marina Bergers Don't know any boats that froze that they winterized. They did a water toy that cracked a heat exchanger was repaired in days for free.And the treated me good when I was a customer and so did Advance as for DMM some insurance companies wont let them do repairs you do the math. The old cat is running good coat of wax and changed all fluids cove past shooters on the left Best of luck T....

Quick Reply: Hey LOTO! Sucks being without my boat so far this year!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.