Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Could we have possibly reached NIRVANA? SBI and APBA join forces? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/82182-could-we-have-possibly-reached-nirvana-sbi-apba-join-forces.html)

T2x 06-29-2004 09:39 AM

Re: Could we have possibly reached NIRVANA? SBI and APBA join forces?

Originally Posted by Shane
The gentleman that told this too me is currently racing APBA P-class. This was the first time I have ever met or spoken with him which is why I ASKED the question. Typically, you can tell from posts if I am fairly CERTAIN of something, but in this case, I am being more inquisitive than assertive. I hope for the good of the sport all hatches, uh I mean hatchets :) can be burried and racing can consolidate not only in organizations but classes as well. This will only serve to the better the sport from a manufacturers and racers perspective, but certainly for the fans as well.

Shane:

The reality of the situation is that about half the offshore boats (The combined current APBA and SBI fleets) have reached an agreement about SOME joint race sites. The biggest boats are still not signed on (OSS).

For any "success" to occur, all parties must combine forces. Unfortunately you still have at least three (not two) separate sets of agendas and goals. Egos are still rampant, greed is still a motivator, and finger pointing still exists. Finally, the previous "Chairman" is still active , having created near bedlam with the Coast Guard in St Pete. just last week. (The Coast Guard permit for that event was 78 pages long compared to 6 or 7 for most races).

I predicted 6 months ago that, based on past history and feuds, we would face 18 months of chaos before clearer heads prevail.

I hope I over estimated...................

T2x

audacity 06-29-2004 09:58 AM

i guess we'll see after this weekend?....last year sarasota's apba race was great and i hear sbi's was a kill event as well....who knows,,,,maybe we needed to go backward a bit to go forward in offshore???

T2x 06-29-2004 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by audacity
i guess we'll see after this weekend?....last year sarasota's apba race was great and i hear sbi's was a kill event as well....who knows,,,,maybe we needed to go backward a bit to go forward in offshore???

Joey:

Great point....... FYI prior to 1989.....there was only one sanctioning body in offshore...... APBA (but, not the LLC).

Fleets were over 150 boats at Key West (in only four classes) and over 100 at most National events... Entries came from all over the globe to compete in a true "World" Championship.

In addition there were Regional events of 40-50 boats on virtually every non- National event weekend.

Then the "division" occurred. Al Copeland, Don Johnson....and Jon Carbonell started OPT, breaking away from APBA, US Offshore started shortly after...and the rest, as they say.....is dysentery.

T2x

Airpacker 06-29-2004 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by T2x
Then the "division" occurred. Al Copeland, Don Johnson....and Jon Carbonell started OPT, breaking away from APBA, US Offshore started shortly after...and the rest, as they say.....is dysentery.

T2x

So thats why you gots no hair up there. Your brain got rid of it to make room for all those prophetic little wittisisms. :)

Unfortunately, you are correct far more often than not.

T2x 06-29-2004 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Airpacker
So thats why you gots no hair up there. Your brain got rid of it to make room for all those prophetic little wittisisms. :)

Unfortunately, you are correct far more often than not.

Unfortunately????? I think you mean Fortunately.

T2x......... Fierce, Bald and Defiant