Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ouch!..I lost a battle w/my winch. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/82183-ouch-i-lost-battle-w-my-winch.html)

Cash Bar 06-27-2004 11:55 AM

Ouch!..I lost a battle w/my winch.

I was unloading the boat yesterday w/ Lucky Strike Jr. and nearly took off my arm.

I backed the boat down so the stern was touching the water. I got out and went to release the winch hook so if all hell broke loose the boat wouldn't drag in the truck. When I turned the handle to release the lock pin the handle flew out of my right hand and hit me mid-wrist. It was spinning so fast it hit me 2-3 times in a split second. It immediately began to swell and turn blk/blue. I had to re-fasten the winch, pull the boat and head home. I got to the house and had to unhook the trlr., flush the motors and cover the boat. I did all this while applying ice and mainly using my left hand.

I went to the ER and waited 3 hrs. to get x-rayed and find out that it's not broken, but I do have some severe bruising and tendon problems. I got scripts for pain and anti-inflammatories so there is no way I'll miss my race this weekend.

I'm mainly pissed I can't boat today because the 'Gun throttles from the right.

Just a little whine session, and a reminder why my motto below never changes.

On the upside,I did find out that I have broken bone in my wrist from at LEAST 5 yrs. ago. Go figure!

Greg

Roger 1 06-27-2004 12:42 PM

Re: Ouch!..I lost a battle w/my winch.

Sorry to hear of your accident. Just be glad that it did`nt hit you in the nads!

It could have ended up hurting your love life...you know....even worse than it has already. :(

lucky strike 06-27-2004 01:10 PM

Greg,

Yeah, it sucked yesterday. If you want to put the boat in, I can throttle :cool: Seriously....:D :D

PS-Did that "thing" stop beeping?

blue thunder 06-27-2004 06:12 PM

That is why I have an electric winch. Power on, power off. Never any spinning handle to wreck the day. Good luck,

BT :cool:

cigarette1 06-27-2004 07:22 PM

Been there ... done that :(

In my case, it wasn't from the boat sliding off the trailer ... it was from the additional tension caused by the boat changing angels on the ramp. No breaks, but lots of bruising.

frequentflyer 06-27-2004 07:49 PM

That's what happens with them heavy A$$ boats... Trade you for my 25 footer ? :D :D

Shane 06-27-2004 07:52 PM

I hope you are well for next weekend. Feel better soon.

Shane

Cash Bar 06-27-2004 07:56 PM

Thanks for the "support".

The boat didn't slide, it happened as Gary said. Boat just changed tension on the trailer. I do this usually(not anymore) just as the stern starts to loosen up. Keeps the boat from dragging trailer, truck and my ego in the drink.

frequentflyer 06-27-2004 08:03 PM

Sorry... Drinking and posting.. Feel better buddy... Those tendon injuries can be a B1tch... Lay off that hand and ice it...

ChrisK 06-27-2004 09:37 PM

Was that your trailer, or the loaner trailer? Either way that sucks!.... So are you still going next weekend to Sarasota?