Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Which boat 36-39 foot boat is less likely to flip... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/82238-boat-36-39-foot-boat-less-likely-flip.html)

45sonic 06-28-2004 11:59 AM

Re: Which boat 36-39 foot boat is less likely to flip...

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Famous last words: Hold my beer, watch this! :D :drink:

Hey I resemble that remark :D

nolimits 06-28-2004 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Dockrocker, didn't you see Perfect Storm? That looks like the same sailboat that barrel rolled down that 80 foot wave. :D

But no one was tossed. When found after the storm, the boat was still floating, right side up....

GregP 06-28-2004 12:25 PM

If you went down to 32' I'd say mine since it still isn't running on one motor.

-g

Hydrocruiser 06-28-2004 12:27 PM

It's a function of experience at given speeds. If you plan on doing 120 mph then you need seat time at 120 mph to be experienced in your boat at that speed.

mr_velocity 06-28-2004 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Famous last words: Hold my beer, watch this! :D :drink:

I always thought it was "I got it, I got...." At least that's what I was saying.

audacity 06-28-2004 12:41 PM

"I got it, I got....".....not; "come-on-baby!"???? i always laugh when i listen to this:

http://myriadfx.com/audacityracing/bobble.mpg

Hydrocruiser 06-28-2004 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by dockrocker
You'll also note that it is a T2x-approved no-step design. Of course, Catalina is located west of the Rockies, so it must be inherently unstable. Or maybe the lack of steps cancels out the west coast location?

I'm so confuzzled....

The only real objection I have about steps is that they break up the "lines" and sleek look of an offshore boat. I am used to the "look" of a sleek Aronow boat without steps. I like the looks of a non-stepped boat better but can certainly live with the way things are if need be. My personal approach if given the option would be to not add steps and use advanced composite materials to significantly reduce weight. Carbon, Kevlar, Epoxy. If and when enough is used the price will surely fall. I know the pros and cons inside and out. Steps supposedly only give an additional 5-10 mph anyways, right? I always especially wondered why you would bother putting them on a cat that can hit high speeds due to aerodynamics easilly enough already. To an extent I would have to say I am a bit influenced by a previous thread where it was suggested and many agreed upon the fact, that steps are a marketing gimmick. Are they? A lighter boat with no steps and bigger engines if need be, appeals to me more but I realize that cost can be an issue. I can live with steps but hope the future holds promise open to other options.

Just my .02 I don't want to start the whole "step" thing all over.

hugetime1 06-28-2004 12:46 PM

here is my take on this, most accident's happen because people get scared in situation and do stupid things. just drive really fast but hit the waves straight on, don't get scared when you see those rollers comming and turn the wheel, just hit them straight on and lunch it over all the other ones behind the first one. and in this situation never back off the throttle until you are completly airborn.

audacity 06-28-2004 12:49 PM

your joking right?...must be...made me laugh

rich allen 06-28-2004 01:09 PM

I'll pick the driver with the fullest drink. He'll be takin it easy over the bumps. :drink: