Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Gas prices dropping (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/82240-gas-prices-dropping.html)

BLee 06-28-2004 09:29 AM

Gas prices dropping

I would love to hear from the folks who think Crude prices don't effect gasoline prices................... but I bet I won't hear a word. :rolleyes:

knotpropr 06-28-2004 10:34 AM

Re: Gas prices dropping

It seems that the prices (at the pump) went up everytime the price increase was mentioned - now though, it seems they DO NOT come down as quick as the price per barrel drops! :(

BillR 06-28-2004 10:43 AM

The current price drop is likely all that we'll see:

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Though gas prices have dropped back under $2 a gallon, travelers may not get any more breaks as vacation season heats up, an industry analyst said.

Fears of terrorism and sabotage in Iraq and Saudi Arabia could offset OPEC's decision to increase oil production in July, said Trilby Lundberg, who publishes the semimonthly Lundberg Survey of U.S. gas stations.

The weighted national average price for all three grades of gasoline fell to $1.97 per gallon on Friday, 6.6 cents lower than two weeks earlier, after rising more than 59 cents between mid-December and June, Lundberg said.

The biggest-selling gas, self-serve regular, averaged $1.94 a gallon.

Lundberg said Sunday that the decline - which followed another drop two weeks ago - was partly due to moderating oil prices and the completion of U.S. refinery maintenance projects.

Falling crude oil prices were also a factor. At the New York Mercantile Exchange, crude oil futures set for August delivery ended trading at $37.55 a barrel Friday, down from $38.45 a barrel two weeks earlier.

Crude oil prices had earlier been hovering above $40 a barrel.

The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, which supplies more than a third of the world's crude, announced earlier this month it would raise its daily production quota by more than 2 million barrels to 26 million barrels and, if necessary, by an additional 500,000 barrels Aug. 1.

Lundberg reported average per-gallon prices at self-serve pumps at about $2.04 for midgrade gas and $2.13 for premium, including taxes.

rainmn 06-28-2004 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by knotpropr
It seems that the prices (at the pump) went up everytime the price increase was mentioned - now though, it seems they DO NOT come down as quick as the price per barrel drops! :(

This is exactly my beef with gas prices. ANY reason whatsoever to raise prices, and they go up at the pump in minutes. Whatever that reason was...when it goes away, it takes weeks for the prices to slowly fall back down.

Chris288 06-28-2004 11:03 AM

yup, goes up 50 cents in 3 weeks and takes 3 months to go down 15