Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1178 miles/3 states/21 days - The Ultimate Poker Run (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/82276-1178-miles-3-states-21-days-ultimate-poker-run.html)

jtmiller02 06-30-2004 09:51 PM

Re: 1178 miles/3 states/21 days - The Ultimate Poker Run

My parents are moving back North in a few months to the Morehead City area. I've spent a lot of my youth on the NC coast during the summers right up until i moved here to the SC coast. Definately one of the greatest places on earth. You have it right on the property too, tons of water and prices aren't too crazy yet.

Hurricane season can be pretty nasty there though. Be sure to talk to a few locals (non-realators) about the property you look at. Most of those people can tell you how much water was there during the last few hurricanes. Some of the people my dad works with live in areas that flooded bad the last time and they had up to 10ft of water on their property, not tryin to scare you away just a heads up to do your homework.

Shane 06-30-2004 09:52 PM

That looks awesome Chuck! Glad you guys had such a good time. Say HI to Dianne for me.

farfrumwerken 06-30-2004 11:42 PM

Thanks for the great travelogue and pics...makes me want to try it in my Sonic 386! Congrats on your safe trip!

C_Spray 07-01-2004 07:26 AM

Thanks, everybody. After all the fear and trepidation going into this trip, it didn't turn out to be bad at all, and The Admiral really got into it. We were both kind of sad to have it end. Sorry we don't have any exciting rough-water pictures, but we were kind of busy and didn't want to get the camera wet (or lose it overboard...).

JTMiller02 - Trust me, last fall's hurricane Isabel was very much in the forefront of discussions. Although it was considered a 100-year flood in most areas, the evidence of it's passing was very much in plain sight and in our conversations. There is precious little waterfront property with more than 6' or so elevation, so most people build on pilings and use the space beneath as workshop/garage. Most areas will allow you to bring in a lot of fill if you want to build up you land and put in a slab.

Dock Holiday 07-01-2004 08:08 AM

Awesome trip, thanks very much for sharing the details.

dyno 07-01-2004 08:18 AM

sounds like a blast!!!

DaveP 07-01-2004 08:44 AM

I'm envious of having that much time off never mind the trip! hahaha

Awesome trip Chuck! Looking forward to hearing some stories over cocktails someday soon.

C_Spray 07-01-2004 11:17 AM

Out of the 36 days that the boat was out of the marina, we were on board about 21. many of those were weekends, or "off" days I had from work travel. I only used 10 vacation days to do it.

DaveP: The Ultimate Poker Run Itinerary (We'll have to coordinate with the Chesapeake Bay Power Boat Association, the Hampton Roads Powerboat Association and the North Carolina Powerboat Association):

Start: Tome's Landing Marina, Susquehanna River Port Deposit MD
Mile 160/Card 1: Tide's Inn, Rappahanock River/Carters Creek, Irvington VA
Mile 250/Card 2: Waterfront/Nauticus, Elizabeth River, Norfolk VA
Mile 380/Card 3: The Pelican, Pasquotank River, Elizabeth City NC
Mile 420/Card 4: Salty Dawg Marina, Albemarle Sound/Roanoke Island, Manteo NC
Mile 500/Card 5: River Forest Marina, Pungo River, Belhaven NC
Mile 590/Card 6: Oriental Marina, Oriental NC (Sailing Capital of NC!!! :crazy: )
Mile 620/Card 7: Finz Restaurant, Beaufort NC
Mile 660/Card 8: River Pointe Marina, New Bern NC

Participants are welcome to return home at their leisure.

Macklin 07-01-2004 11:21 AM

Welcome back! The HRPA enjoyed hanging with you at the Narrows while you were on your way down. Too bad you came back through during the middle of the week.

SOX 07-01-2004 10:11 PM

Great pictures Chuck!