Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Ideas welcomed~trim ring for base of hatch scoops?? >

Ideas welcomed~trim ring for base of hatch scoops??

Notices

Ideas welcomed~trim ring for base of hatch scoops??

Old 05-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ideas welcomed~trim ring for base of hatch scoops??

I have a hatch scoop installation project going on and need some ideas on best way to cover up the inch or so gap at the base of the scoops. I removed the padded board that sits on top the fiberglass hatch then bolted the scoops to the hatch. I cut the padded board to fit back over the scoops which required cutting to the outside of the 1 inch flange at the base of the scoop. Now I need ideas for a trim ring or something to neatly cover up the 1 inch flange and rounded bolt heads that are still exposed?? I'm almost finished with the project and would really appreciate some ideas? I included some pics. The padded board has since been cut. Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails Ideas welcomed~trim ring for base of hatch scoops??-dcp_0489-large-.jpg   Ideas welcomed~trim ring for base of hatch scoops??-dcp_0486-large-.jpg   Ideas welcomed~trim ring for base of hatch scoops??-dcp_0488-large-.jpg  

Old 05-03-2005, 02:01 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ideas welcomed~trim ring for base of hatch scoops??

Shouldn't that flange be on the underside of the hatch? So the scoop goes through the hatch, not on top of it?

It think that would be a neater install.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Registered

That would only take away from the stability and then I'm still left with getting the vinal up snug to the base of the scoops. I'm just looking for a simple idea to fill in the gap the way it sets, not to go hacking it up anymore. I talked to fiberglass guy at Eliminator and he told me this is the sturdiest way to do it.

This is my third thread on this project and no body seems to know anything. I would of thought somebody on OSO has added hatch scoops sometime along the way and had some ideas to share???
Old 05-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would have thought that glassing in the scoops from the bottom would not only been structurally sound.. but cleaner. you then can take the vinal and upulsterit around a snug ring that go around the scoops and that can be attached from underneath. To cover the heads, you can install a fiberglass panel or a plexi mirrored panel..... Just an idea.. not sure what to do to cover the hatch where the scoops are raised and have it fit/look good.. im no guru though...
Old 05-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

a buddy of mine did his american offshore, give him a call 936-344-7200 his name is David
Old 05-03-2005, 05:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Harper220
I have a hatch scoop installation project going on and need some ideas on best way to cover up the inch or so gap at the base of the scoops. I removed the padded board that sits on top the fiberglass hatch then bolted the scoops to the hatch. I cut the padded board to fit back over the scoops which required cutting to the outside of the 1 inch flange at the base of the scoop. Now I need ideas for a trim ring or something to neatly cover up the 1 inch flange and rounded bolt heads that are still exposed?? I'm almost finished with the project and would really appreciate some ideas? I included some pics. The padded board has since been cut. Thanks...
Mine are the same way on my Fountain. I used a plastic ring which goes all the way around the bottom of the scoop and ends at the back. The ring was then covered in vinyl and I put 3 bolts on each side from the bottom up through the flange on the scoops and put washers and acorn nuts on the top. I will send a pic to you when I get a chance.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BruceK
Mine are the same way on my Fountain. I used a plastic ring which goes all the way around the bottom of the scoop and ends at the back. The ring was then covered in vinyl and I put 3 bolts on each side from the bottom up through the flange on the scoops and put washers and acorn nuts on the top. I will send a pic to you when I get a chance.
Some pictures would be great... Where did you get the plastic rings?
Old 05-03-2005, 07:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Harper220
Some pictures would be great... Where did you get the plastic rings?
They were originally done in marine plywood, but since I just had them recovered, the upholstry guy made them out of some plastic which they use for all of the seats and marine upolstry. Here are a few pics
Attached Thumbnails Ideas welcomed~trim ring for base of hatch scoops??-hatch1.jpg   Ideas welcomed~trim ring for base of hatch scoops??-hatch2.jpg   Ideas welcomed~trim ring for base of hatch scoops??-hatch3.jpg  

Old 05-03-2005, 08:14 PM
Registered

Email "Jeffrey"......he's added scoops to each boat he's had and some didn't have blowers.

Don't forget (like he did) that what goes in must come out!!! On the Gladiator, he didn't have enough exit for air rushing in the scoops and blew off the hatch at speed. What a poodle!!!
Old 05-03-2005, 08:16 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

i was getting ready to add to make sure you had a way for an equal amount of air to get out.....

Quick Reply: Ideas welcomed~trim ring for base of hatch scoops??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.