Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What the hell is a manatee? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/82435-what-hell-manatee.html)

88Fount33 07-02-2004 09:47 AM

Re: What the hell is a manatee?

On a visit many, many years ago to "Manatee Heaven" Homosassa Springs, the park ranger stated during the presentation that these things were not native to our waters, that the native americans brought them here a very long time ago as a food source that was easy to capture.

How about them apples!!!!

Wasabe 07-02-2004 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Audiofn
What you do not seem to grasp hear is that you will sell your boat and do a lot of house chores as they do not put these manatee zones up one day and take them away the next. They are there all the time, and they make no sence at all. You mentioned the Circle of life. Well maybe Gods master plan what that these things be gone a LONG time ago. Now us screwing with them to keep them around is going to kill off a lot of other things.

Jon

Look Jon my only problem is that if someone runs one over and say's they don't care I see that as inhumane. Other then that have fun. If you can't boat because they close it down then do something good for the soul and the boating community as well as the animal. Start a group and see if you can get the ball rolling to help get the animals to a safer place. Like back to were they came from. You'll be happy and everyone else will too. How hard it that?
I grasp just fine ;) And I have other hobbies.

Wasabe 07-02-2004 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by frequentflyer
I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it's easy to have a general opinion like that when you are not affected by the problem. Personally I have no problems with the animal, I have a problem with the richard-heads that lobby for them. Environmentalists for the most part are extremists. They are the Jimmy Buffetts of the world that are not basing their actions on science. Get a bunch of people that have nothing to do, give them a little financial backing and they will get a law passed. That's a fact. Us hard working people that don't have the time to form our own organizations or sometimes even the financial backing end up getting screwed. There have been several posts, one by our own BajaDaze I believe where the "Save the manatee" organization would not allow people to build docks on their canal front homes. HOWEVER, if they would join the club and pay 750.00 or so, they would get a dock permit. Does that sound right ? These people have nothing to do but aggravate the vast majority of us boaters. I personally am sick and tired of these dumba$$es and anyone who backs them.

I don't like the radical tree huggers.

JUSTONCE 07-02-2004 12:45 PM

I want to hold a wrestling match with manatees. put a manatee in a pool and take turns against it. Lets say a fight to the death, only weapon allowed, A spork. Any money earned from selling tickets goes to a charitable cause.

88Fount33 07-02-2004 12:57 PM

I'm all for the 'rasslyn match, but only in Jimmy B's pool, let see 1000# sea pig eats 300# of grass= a lot of poo in the ool.

JUSTONCE 07-02-2004 01:04 PM

I think If you gouge out its eye you may be able to get the upper hand. :D :cool:

JUSTONCE 07-02-2004 01:29 PM

:drink: damn I was trying to get a rise out of Wasabe But I guess not huh.

Wasabe 07-02-2004 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by JUST ONCE
:drink: damn I was trying to get a rise out of Wasabe But I guess not huh.

Cheers :drink:

rchevelle71 07-02-2004 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by 88Fount33
On a visit many, many years ago to "Manatee Heaven" Homosassa Springs, the park ranger stated during the presentation that these things were not native to our waters, that the native americans brought them here a very long time ago as a food source that was easy to capture.

How about them apples!!!!

Most things in Florida are not native to this area............

INCLUDING US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dean Ferry 07-02-2004 03:36 PM

Go to www.cffw.org and do some research, You will be enlightened!
BTW. it's a 9 mile idle north from our dock, 3 miles south.
Bottom line: Recreational boaters are not the ones hitting manatees, it's the commercial tugs, barges and ships!
PHUCK the $ave the Manatee club and Jimmy "Stuff-it" too!
MD