Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who makes the best blower/supercharger? >

Who makes the best blower/supercharger?

Notices
View Poll Results: Who makes the best blower/supercharger?
The Blower Shop
17.52%
BDS
9.70%
Mooneyham
2.70%
Dyers
0.54%
Weiand
1.89%
Holley
1.08%
Littlefield
5.93%
Whipplecharger
43.40%
Procharger
11.86%
Vortech
5.39%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Who makes the best blower/supercharger?

Old 07-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Who makes the best blower/supercharger?

http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/gm/gm81/gm81.htm

Very high tech and smooth integral operation I am told.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't turbo lag create throttle problems in big water?
Old 07-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard that PSI are the ****. Very expensive?
Old 07-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John NY
Roots are inefficient - they are blowers where centrifigals and screw (i.e. whipple) are compressors. The inefficiency equates to heat. Since you have an unlimited amount of cold water available, air to water intercooling the inlet charge addresses this nicely.

For large cubic inch applications which are not running at seriously high RPM, a Whipple is better suited than a centrfigal. Centrifigals are better suited for very high RPM applications.

For a typical boat, large cubic inch engine with redline under 6,000 RPM, I would say the Whipple is th best choice for the application.

However, a turbo would be even better as there is less sacrificial loss of horsepower - no belt to drive it. You can run less bost and make same HP levels. I am not sure about the whipple, but a centrifigal can easily eat up 80 HP just to run it. So to make X horsepower you need to run more boost than with a turbo.

Turbo's are more complicated setups and generally cost more. Not sure why there aren't more turbo's for boats as they are better solution for forced induction applications. Would be harder to have standardized kits as packaging would quite different for different boats. Superchargers allow more standardization and this makes it cheaper. If I were building an all out effort (i.e. custom, cost is no object), I would be doing a turbo setup.

John
Do a turbo set-up.... in theory they work great... on an engine that runs at a constant speed like an airplane.. they are the standard. Put one in a boat and watch how quickly corrosion destroys everything... Watch as everything welds itself together from the heat and electrolysis...I had twin turbo set-ups on my engines.... no way to plumb in waste gates at the time... and no way to protect everything from the heat of the turbo other than a water jacket... water-jacket a turbo and you lose efficiency.... so .... still want a turbo?
Old 07-01-2004, 04:12 PM
John NY

Originally Posted by joe900sc
Doesn't turbo lag create throttle problems in big water?
You mean like if you are in and out of the throttle, they need to spool up again?

Twin turbos (more $) will generally eliminate turbo lag - at least in cars. A centrifigal would in theory have the same type of issues as it won't make much boost at low RPM, but when the power comes on it does it big time and just keeps coming.

I haven't played with marine applications, so not sure if there is an issue.

John

Old 07-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Roots blowers dump the fuel air mix straight down, so you get even distribution. Screw compressors move the fuel air mix to one end, so you get plugs in the front fireing lean and plugs in the rear fireing rich. Turbo's provide marine grade night terrors...a serious sleeping disorder
Old 07-01-2004, 04:21 PM
John NY

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
Do a turbo set-up.... in theory they work great... on an engine that runs at a constant speed like an airplane.. they are the standard. Put one in a boat and watch how quickly corrosion destroys everything... Watch as everything welds itself together from the heat and electrolysis...I had twin turbo set-ups on my engines.... no way to plumb in waste gates at the time... and no way to protect everything from the heat of the turbo other than a water jacket... water-jacket a turbo and you lose efficiency.... so .... still want a turbo?
Sounds like you've been there and done that! Couldn't you air cool it to get rid of the heat and use some heat shielding/header wrap? I wonder how much time and $ to try and make it work for a high HP application. Turbos are standard stuff on marine diesels - but application is obviously a bit different.

I've played with forced induction but not in marine applications. Seems you've tried it and there are application specific issues!

John

Old 07-01-2004, 04:29 PM
John NY

Originally Posted by CigaretteFirefox
Roots blowers dump the fuel air mix straight down, so you get even distribution. Screw compressors move the fuel air mix to one end, so you get plugs in the front fireing lean and plugs in the rear fireing rich. Turbo's provide marine grade night terrors...a serious sleeping disorder
I've always played with EFI, so fuel introduced after the blower. As applications got hairier we would use an ECU that would allow fuel and timing to be adjusted by cylinder (i.e. a Motec) and full data acquisition to get exhaust temps on each cylinder to tune by.

John

Last edited by John NY; 07-01-2004 at 04:32 PM.

Old 07-01-2004, 05:37 PM
WickedWon

For sheer big HP ( BOOST) PSI, the problem is that they don't throttle well because of the dramatic overdrive, they hate stopping and starting and so do the belts

Whipple's work very well with fuel injection but the big inch ( quads) are also fighting some belt problems when throttled hard ( check the belt routing on the Merc 1075's )

Millions have been spent trying to make gas marine turbo's work, Tom Gentry gave the best of the best an open LIMITLESS check book and they found power but not a better package.

So pick your poison, the best Supercharger is the one on someone else's boat

Old 07-01-2004, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had BDS blowers... nice finish quality... I dealt with them directly ( since they are only a few miles from me ).. very helpful.

Quick Reply: Who makes the best blower/supercharger?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.