Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who makes the best blower/supercharger? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/82486-who-makes-best-blower-supercharger.html)

SR-24 07-01-2004 12:24 PM

Who makes the best blower/supercharger?

If you had to choose a blower/supercharger which company would you go with?

mikes280 07-01-2004 12:30 PM

Re: Who makes the best blower/supercharger?

Whipple!!!!!

Jassman 07-01-2004 12:36 PM

Dustin at Whipple has been great to work with, and his chargers not only runs very cool, they look very cool, especially in a Quad Rotor set up, makes the engine room look awesome. :D Jeff Jasby

dyno 07-01-2004 12:41 PM

What about PSI???? Wesco used them on Jaws they are huge!!!!

SR-24 07-01-2004 12:52 PM

I'm sure I missed a couple major players, but that's all I could think of right now. I'm sure my decision would be based on one of these manufacture's though.

boot 07-01-2004 12:59 PM

I think it depends on a lot of things as to which one i sbest for YOU ....
They all make good stuff. But what do you expect from it ? How much power gain , how many engine mods, how much room , intercooled or not, fuel type, sigle carb ,dual carb, and $$$ ..

SR-24 07-01-2004 01:02 PM

I agree Boot, I just wanted to get a general consensus on who liked what and possibly why.

SR-24 07-01-2004 02:32 PM

All these views and not many votes; I wonder why?

MitchStellin 07-01-2004 02:34 PM

How about God?? The Female does this very well...for a lot less money. You do have to deal with the back fire though. :rolleyes: :)

John NY 07-01-2004 03:34 PM

Roots are inefficient - they are blowers where centrifigals and screw (i.e. whipple) are compressors. The inefficiency equates to heat. Since you have an unlimited amount of cold water available, air to water intercooling the inlet charge addresses this nicely.

For large cubic inch applications which are not running at seriously high RPM, a Whipple is better suited than a centrfigal. Centrifigals are better suited for very high RPM applications.

For a typical boat, large cubic inch engine with redline under 6,000 RPM, I would say the Whipple is th best choice for the application.

However, a turbo would be even better as there is less sacrificial loss of horsepower - no belt to drive it. You can run less bost and make same HP levels. I am not sure about the whipple, but a centrifigal can easily eat up 80 HP just to run it. So to make X horsepower you need to run more boost than with a turbo.

Turbo's are more complicated setups and generally cost more. Not sure why there aren't more turbo's for boats as they are better solution for forced induction applications. Would be harder to have standardized kits as packaging would quite different for different boats. Superchargers allow more standardization and this makes it cheaper. If I were building an all out effort (i.e. custom, cost is no object), I would be doing a turbo setup.

John