Okay - I need some feedback; boat issues >

Okay - I need some feedback; boat issues

Notices

Okay - I need some feedback; boat issues

Old 07-02-2004, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay - I need some feedback; boat issues

We have had problems with our hull. It's a 2000 left over bought in June 2001. We have had problems with the hull since we owned it. It has been fixed 3 times - the most recent one being at the factory. Well, the problem is still there. We had it out on the water, in good boating conditions for under 2 hours and already we are seeing signs that the underlying problem is still there. They are trying to say that they will "fix it" again.

I'm sorry, but how many times can you cut the top off a boat and "fix it"??? How many times can you cut the wires and put them back together???

At first things were going amicably when we called and complained this time. This morning in conversation with them, we got the distinct impression they were giving us the run around.

Any of you lawyer types know if there is some sort of lemon law for boats? They say the warantee obligates them to fix the hull and nothing more....well, I'm sorry but it seems to me after going the "fixing" route 3 times the obvious conclusion is that it's a serious problem that isn't fixed and they haven't found the cause.

Not to mention our warantee is only for 5 years.

Plus - we're kinda stuck with the boat. If we sold it to someone we'd have to disclose the problems. Anybody with 2 digits in their IQ isn't going to buy it so we'll never get to sell it. And if we chose not to disclose...well first I couldn't sleep knowing the problems the new owner would have, and second we could probably get sued if something happened.

What is my recourse??? I'm more than tempted to hand the whole thing over to the attorney generals office and let them deal with it.

HELP!!!
Old 07-02-2004, 10:46 AM
Registered

Default Re: Okay - I need some feedback; boat issues

Cracks that start out little (but not stress cracks) and grow and grow. They end up with gaps that open and close as you ride. In each corner. Previously, the bulk head came lose and that was re-inforced last winter. Our concern is, with a reinforced bulk head and a reinforced hull, there is obviously something else wrong with the boat....something very fundamentally wrong to have it show up again so quickly (2 trips after the "repair").
Old 07-02-2004, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well Bonnie, that just plain sucks!!!!!

Did you buy the boat new? I take it's a Baja (Outlaw) right?

If yes on both accounts, Baja is a big company and I would think you could and should demand a new boat,,,,,,,,,, IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!

Two unsucessful repairs is plenty of justification for a new boat. Have you talked to Baja? Tell the dealer you need a meeting right now with the area rep. It won't be easy but, you have alot of power here on OSO. We, collectively, wield a pretty heavy hand. There's a good chance someone from Baja monitors the Baja Forum here regularly (I know Formula does). We can help. Your boat should be replaced, Period.

Of course, all of the above presumes your boat is a Baja and you bought it new. If it's a used boat, whatever the brand, the battle is even tougher. But, the battle is not lost. Give us some more details on the boat, mfgr, new, used, manor of damage, pictures would be helpful, who did the repairs, etc.

I feel real bad for you, your situation is a nasty one. Let us help. Jump in here OSO'ers, lets get this situation rectified.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

not sure if they would replace the whole boat but i have heard of an instance where they replaced the hull assembly and rigged it with the exhisting components. and it was an outlaw, 24 i believe.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Registered

Yes, we bought it brand new. And you're right on the type. I think we've been more than fair....and just want what is right.

I appreciate the input.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:28 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I'd try searching in the General Discussion area. The topics would be old, but this is not the first time I've read it.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Registered

Keep after Baja,there have been a couple of people on the board here that had problems with their Bajas and got them taken care of,it took them a little while but just be a pain in their ass!
Old 07-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Registered

Check the State of New York Webpage and see if they have a "lemon law" that applies. This varies from state to state; I know Ohio has one.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Registered

Boat cracks usually start from the inside not the out. There like internal veins. What you see on the outside my be a foot long but on the inside the crack could be two feet long ot worst. On the repair you need to go inside and cut until you see the vein disappear which will be longer than the outside crack. If you make that repair it will not or should not come back. The other way they will keep coming back. You have only made a patch or a cosmetic repair. Craig Barrie
Old 07-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would try one more time with the dealer, (let them know that a "patch" isn't going to fix it this time) then if you feel your dealer hasn't really cooperated much, I would go past them directly. I would contact Baja and try to talk to somebody in mamagement. Your situations sucks, but be persistant.

Quick Reply: Okay - I need some feedback; boat issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.