Notices

Boat Handling

Old 07-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Boat Handling

It's strange, I was just talking about this last night with a friend on a run. Had to get some gas, so we took her out for a spin. We started talking about boat handling, all the little variables, trim, steps, whatever.

Then I showed my friend just how much effect that trim tabs had on my 26, at 35 or 40 mph. At those "slow" speeds, you could damn near roll the boat with the wrong combination of trim. And this is a heavy boat, going slow.

It's amazing how many folks think that power is the primary system in a boat, when it's actually the hull and the tabs/planes. It's like throwing out airplane design because you have a super big jet engine. Wrong.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fund razor
It's strange, I was just talking about this last night with a friend on a run. Had to get some gas, so we took her out for a spin. We started talking about boat handling, all the little variables, trim, steps, whatever.

Then I showed my friend just how much effect that trim tabs had on my 26, at 35 or 40 mph. At those "slow" speeds, you could damn near roll the boat with the wrong combination of trim. And this is a heavy boat, going slow.

It's amazing how many folks think that power is the primary system in a boat, when it's actually the hull and the tabs/planes. It's like throwing out airplane design because you have a super big jet engine. Wrong.
How true, Not that my toy is a hot rod by any means but even @ 65mph if I trim it all the way out instead of prop slip she will carry the bow so high that Its extremely hard to control.(looks cool though ) Knowing your boat and its limitations is crucial regardless how much power. my.02
Old 07-06-2004, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an old racer saying, " You never know how fast you can go till you crash". Since that first crash might kill you : BE CAREFUL!!! Sorry to hear about your friend Tinkerer.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Registered

As many of you know I owned a 21' Baja that had way too much power, but I did do a lot of set up to make it driveable. Things like Hydraulic Steering is a must. Drive height and prop selection become critical especially in small boats. The one thing that continues to blow my mind is how few people actually wear their life jackets religiously. I recall numerous deaths recently where people driving very well set up rigs that include many of the boat brands we all would agree are the best made for going fast. I am saddened by a fellow boater dying on a lake my wife and I frequent during the summers. It also pisses me off that so many HP boaters are too cool to put on a vest every time they run their boat hard regardless the size or handling!! At least he was alone!
Craig
Old 07-07-2004, 05:59 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

we all crave speed but lets do it smart!!!sorry about your friend Steve I've been there and know what your going through..my thoughts and prayers to his family.
Don
Old 07-11-2004, 12:00 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

He was not someone that I knew - I may have seen him before.

One odd thing though. The guy had the same last name as I but it was spelled differently.

One of my friends heard the last name but not the first and thought it might be me that was dead.

they found the body today.