Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ateco engine Shop?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/82674-ateco-engine-shop.html)

MILD THUNDER 07-05-2004 10:34 PM

Ateco engine Shop??

Hello to all. Let me fill you guys in on my story. I have a 1987 Four Winns Liberator. I bought it back in April of this year. It has a 540/625hp engine originally built by powerorque.net . When I bought the boat it had 32 hours on the engine. On my first day out I took it for a cruise to get familiar with the boat. After a short run, never even went wide open for a moment, noticed oil pressue reading zero at idle. After calling several shops to find out who had the time to do the work immediately the only one who wasnt booked and said they had the time to start on it immediatly was ateco. To make a long story short, I brought the boat to ateco automotive in waukegan in Mid may. Now its July 5, motor is not back together, they have been telling me "should hopefully have it done this weekend" for three weeks now. Total cost to rebuild motor was 5500.00. It needed a complete overhaul, crank reground, rings, main caps, wrist pins, valve job, etc. The owner seems like a nice guy, but Ive got a lot of friends and only one boat. Has anyone ever dealt with them? Any info would be greatly appreciated. If it were my shop, I would like to get the engine done, get paid, and get the boat out of the way!

tomtbone1993 07-05-2004 11:59 PM

Re: Ateco engine Shop??

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Hello to all. Let me fill you guys in on my story. I have a 1987 Four Winns Liberator. I bought it back in April of this year. It has a 540/625hp engine originally built by powerorque.net . When I bought the boat it had 32 hours on the engine. On my first day out I took it for a cruise to get familiar with the boat. After a short run, never even went wide open for a moment, noticed oil pressue reading zero at idle. After calling several shops to find out who had the time to do the work immediately the only one who wasnt booked and said they had the time to start on it immediatly was ateco. To make a long story short, I brought the boat to ateco automotive in waukegan in Mid may. Now its July 5, motor is not back together, they have been telling me "should hopefully have it done this weekend" for three weeks now. Total cost to rebuild motor was 5500.00. It needed a complete overhaul, crank reground, rings, main caps, wrist pins, valve job, etc. The owner seems like a nice guy, but Ive got a lot of friends and only one boat. Has anyone ever dealt with them? Any info would be greatly appreciated. If it were my shop, I would like to get the engine done, get paid, and get the boat out of the way!

You can get a new short block for that price.
But why did you take it to a automotive shop? Their is a few things different from marine applications vs auto.

MILD THUNDER 07-06-2004 06:32 AM

Yes, but the price does include r and r engine from boat, head work, and dyno time. They advertise that they build marine engines in powerboat magazine.

rv 07-06-2004 06:44 AM

You might try doing a search on here for some threads by G-Force. I remember he had engine rebuilder problems with a local shop and it maybe the same one you are at.

Rick