Notices

From V to Cat

Old 07-08-2004, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: From V to Cat

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Summer, you have a small cabin in there?
Not really a "cabin", but more a padded floor with two built in 50 qt ice chests and some deep "pockets" for stuff forward of the ice chests. There is more room than I would have thought, but no seats like an Eliminator.

If you look close in this pic, you might be able to see what I am talking about:
Attached Thumbnails From V to Cat-back-shot.jpg  
Old 07-08-2004, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tnks. Looks like a guy has some place to pass-out if need be. Those speeds are awesome. Hard to do that in a V unless money is no issue.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I doubt if you will ever get a break on the insurance. It's just plain high because it's a cat.

Storm-I believe that engine is based off the old GM 6.2 diesel. That was a OK engine in it's day, but it's not nearly as good as some of the other ones out there. Either way, I don't think I'd use one in a cat. This is from a big diesel finatic too. They're just too heavy and unresponsive. I think that a diesel would be awsome in one of the bigger V bottoms. To give you an idea, my modified Cummins makes around 450hp at the crank and over 800lbft of torque, but it weighs close to 1,000lbs-undressed.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Registered

I actually went the other way- from a 25 Daytona that I ran 125 hrs/3 yrs to my 28 Pantera which I've put 35 hrs on in 1/2 season. (best of 99 vs 78 with very similar power)

Overall, I miss my cat, it was cheaper to buy, faster, cheaper on gas, faster, faster cruise and yes, cost twice the amount to insure. IMHO, the insurance is a non issue- whine all you want, but the bottom line is the bottom line, when you add up all you spend on a given boat to have the performance, cruise and top end you want then the ins. is a small factor that is eclipsed by other issues.

I do like the Pantera better for "hanging out" better hatch for the bikini's, cabin is bigger. The Pantera is also more fun for the bigger snotty water (more than 2-3' chop) and launches and lands nicer. Part of that is to blame on the smaller size and more shallow tunnel of the 25' Daytona, when you land and run out of tunnel you may as well be landing a deckboat- hit's hard.

My wife really prefers the Pantera, cabin and was unnerved by the flat cornering which is cake once you are used to it. The V is very easy in the corners as it carves like a bike.

Another consideration- the cat is way nicer at speed in the confused slop, the v is heavily influenced hitting or landing confused water where there is more impact on one side of the hull, pitches more violently to other side. The cat is heavily neutralized by the air pack, and in the same conditions will settle left, then right, then neutral very quickly and without nearly the extreme range of motion/drama.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Organdonor

Talking Re: From V to Cat

My thoughts on this are that I have been next to a Pantera 28 in rough stuff the owner of the Pantara races another offshore boat. After watching us he wanted a ride in a Spectre, he got it and then he took the wheel. Last I new his boats was for sale and a spectre was to be his next purchase.

spectrepowerboats.com
30'OB SPECTRE
Attached Thumbnails From V to Cat-1.jpg   From V to Cat-2.jpg   From V to Cat-3.jpg  

Last edited by Organdonor; 07-08-2004 at 01:31 PM.

Old 07-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Cattitude
I do like the Pantera better for "hanging out" better hatch for the bikini's, cabin is bigger. The Pantera is also more fun for the bigger snotty water (more than 2-3' chop) and launches and lands nicer. Part of that is to blame on the smaller size and more shallow tunnel of the 25' Daytona, when you land and run out of tunnel you may as well be landing a deckboat- hit's hard.

My wife really prefers the Pantera, cabin and was unnerved by the flat cornering which is cake once you are used to it. The V is very easy in the corners as it carves like a bike.

Another consideration- the cat is way nicer at speed in the confused slop, the v is heavily influenced hitting or landing confused water where there is more impact on one side of the hull, pitches more violently to other side. The cat is heavily neutralized by the air pack, and in the same conditions will settle left, then right, then neutral very quickly and without nearly the extreme range of motion/drama.

I agree with this statement fully.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:33 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Cattitude,

I was waiting for your response.

Do you think the ride of the DCB / Eticket would have been much better than your 25 Daytona? or could you not say cause you've never been in one.

From you owners of the cats, who use them in the open waters... how do they handle the swells (6ft and larger rollers, not peaking waves), cuz I know the Vs love to shoot off and land softly off them.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Cattitude,

I was waiting for your response.

Do you think the ride of the DCB / Eticket would have been much better than your 25 Daytona? or could you not say cause you've never been in one.

Yes, more boat, but that said, my next cat will likely have a deeper tunnel like a 30 Spectre, 31 AO or even a 28 skater if I go OB (something to be said for the perf and relibility of two 300 OB's) The E-ticket seems deeper than the DCB, just from pics etc.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:22 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=Cattitude]Yes, more boat, but that said, my next cat will likely have a deeper tunnel like a 30 Spectre, 31 AO or even a 28 skater...[QUOTE]

So you are going back to a cat? or keeping both.
Lemme know when the 28's up for sale .
Old 07-08-2004, 03:27 PM
Registered

More than likely the Pantera will be around as long as my wife is

Quick Reply: From V to Cat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.