Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   From V to Cat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/82843-v-cat.html)

Hydrocruiser 07-08-2004 03:29 PM

Re: From V to Cat

1 Attachment(s)
2005 Marine Technology 44' Scism Cat

I am thinking in this direction. Opinions please.

Stormrider 07-08-2004 03:45 PM

Hydro... that is a mighty fine DIRECTION!

Let me know if you get it, I'll help you dial it in... I make a great ballast. :D

Cord 07-08-2004 04:32 PM

[QUOTE=Hydrocruiser]2005 Marine Technology 44' Scism Cat[QUOTE]

To quote a major influential boat manufacturer, "Scism may be the only manufacturer that can build a better boat than Skater". And yes, he included himself in that catagory! That said, I'd also suggest that you look at both Skater and Nortech. Nortech builds a really trick boat.

Havasu Cig 07-08-2004 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by SummerObsession
Downtown:
Insurance is twice what I was paying for the Cig. From what I am told, my lack of cat experience and the speed of the boat are the main drivers for the cost. I hope that next year, having more experience, I can get a better deal, but I will probably have to switch companies.
I am told there are only two companies that will insure cats in my size range.
The only reason my insurand is even buyable is that I have a 7 month lay up period.

I pay $3500 a year for our T/S Gun, and I was quoted $7000. a year for a 29 with 525's. This would have been my fourth cat, so I don't think the experience was the issue.

I have had three DCB's and Dave offered me a killer deal on a new 29 to try to get me back into one of his boats. The insurance quote was one factor that made me decide not to switch back to a cat.

I also love my Gun, and except for the speed I don't miss anything about the cats I owned. I can take the gun anywhere in any type of water without worries, and I don't have towing issues with being wider than the legal limit.

I live in San Diego and have a house in Havasu so I boat in both the ocean and the lake. It would be hard to have a cat to do both with unless you start looking in the 36+ range, and then you have towing issues.

LostinBoston 07-08-2004 05:52 PM

I cant see the pic of the Scism, but the 39 is one of my favorite boats right now. the 44 has a nice cabin and more seating, 2 things i dont really need though. I am looking to move up to a 36' + cat from my 28 pantera, which is currently for sale. i had one ride in a 28 eliminator at 100 mph and i was hooked on Cats.

Storm, if your looking for a 28 pantera here's a pic of mine. asking 70K
http://time4beer.tripod.com/pantera1.jpg

Tantrum 07-09-2004 12:02 PM

Anymore comments from Cat to V or V to Cat.
I know Im going to miss the amenities of the V and am putting lots of weight on the performance.

chromecat 07-12-2004 10:31 PM

just look at them all... they all have something a little different to offer... I like the cabin space that the American Offshore has... one of the biggest.. for 31' and true tunnel... plus where are you going to run it... the true tunnels do alot ...alot better in the nasty sloppy stuff... but tend to hop a bit in calm water at certain speeds...
Don

Organdonor 07-12-2004 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by chromecat
just look at them all... they all have something a little different to offer... I like the cabin space that the American Offshore has... one of the biggest.. for 31' and true tunnel... plus where are you going to run it... the true tunnels do alot ...alot better in the nasty sloppy stuff... but tend to hop a bit in calm water at certain speeds...
Don

*AMOFS WTF*

Looked at it in miami in 2003 before I knew what a cat was supposed to be. It didn't take long to realize they didn't realize the handling, quality wasn't the level of east coast boat builders are known for putting out. I guess the whole "you get what you pay for" saying is applicable to some cat builders.

However if you want low budget with dvd player and flat screen tv in a cat on a budget this is the boat for you!!! :D :D :D

44MTI 07-15-2004 11:17 PM

Hydo, You can't go wrong with a MTI. I love my 42, as does my wife. It has more room in the cuddy than most vees, as well as Huge bath/changing room. There is no porpoise at any speed and I don't even have trim tabs. As for speed I will put these boats up against any with equal power. I just got back from SOTW and the only boat to outrun me in the morning with flat h2o was Dan's 36 skater with 1100+HP and the only one to beat me in the afternoon with 3's was Lances 40 Skater with 1300's.And Randy is one of the nicest guy you will ever meet.
ps, IF you want to save some $$ Mine is for sale as I am wanting a new MTI

Buddy OO 08-15-2004 02:54 PM

For ride ,styling, state of the art cockpit and awesome speed the nortech 36 supercat is the choice. It is also affordable compared to the skater and mti, with 1150's cat runs in the high 160's and ride is incredible. the styling .scoops, and engine package is nothing short of perfect. If you want a top of the line cat and save 150-200 grand take a look at nortech