Notices

Woodworking Emergency!!!

Old 07-07-2004, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Woodworking Emergency!!!

Went out Monday to clean up the boat and take her for a spin, and noticed some "soft spots" in the wood forming the base of the rear seat. I decided to pull it out and rebuild it. I am using marine plywood for the parts that do not show and I am using CEDAR for the part that does show (the front). (I couldn't get teak on such short notice, and several people recommended cedar -- if it is wrong don't tell me, 'cause it is too late now, and I don't want to know. )

I don't want to paint it, so here is the question: What type of finish should I use on the cedar (varnish, oil, etc.) to stand up to the boating environment? HELP!!!
Old 07-07-2004, 07:35 PM
Registered

Default Re: Woodworking Emergency!!!

P.S. -- It gets worse...

I got an e-mail from my boat broker today, and he has someone interested in the boat, but the guy wants pictures of the INTERIOR!!! I need to get it finished quick, but I wanna do it RIGHT!!!
Old 07-07-2004, 07:43 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Cedar will not rot, that's why it's used for siding and roofs and exterior trim.

If you're looking for a gloss finish, I'd use a spar type of varnish. Oil is easiest and will give a nice finish only with successive coats. It won't peel on you also and it's easy to make it look nice again, just a quick coat to bring back the finish. Either choice will work.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

cameron , go buy some sikkens cetol marine about 26 clams at west marine , gives a nice finish
Old 07-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coat the wood with West system 105 resin and 207 special hardener... it's uv resistant.. then sand when hard.... wipe with water damp cloth.... let dry.. then coat with spar varnish...
Old 07-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Registered

Ummmm... would a consensus be too much to ask?

(Hell, even two of you agreeing would be nice. )
Old 07-07-2004, 11:41 PM
T-N-T Sales

Use starboard if you can. (plastic replacement for wood) easy to work with. You can buy it at West marine. It never deteriorates, is lighter and you don't have to coat it.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T-N-T Sales
Use starboard if you can. (plastic replacement for wood) easy to work with. You can buy it at West marine. It never deteriorates, is lighter and you don't have to coat it.
Originally Posted by KaamaScarab30
...several people recommended cedar -- if it is wrong don't tell me, 'cause it is too late now, and I don't want to know. )

Not too good with this "reading" thing, are we? Sounds like it would have been perfect, but too late.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:48 AM
T-N-T Sales

It is late. Your not finished, and it may be faster to start over. If you use a better material and don't sell the boat, you won't have to do the same job agian later.

Old 07-08-2004, 01:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sand the piece smooth with 400 grit and then coat with thompsons water sealer. This is an okay fix. I wouldnt do it for my own boat if I were keeping it. You could our a real heavy coat of resin all over the part too

Quick Reply: Woodworking Emergency!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.