Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   boat trailer started floating (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/82990-boat-trailer-started-floating.html)

THEJOKER 07-11-2004 07:50 PM

Re: boat trailer started floating

I've had the same problem with my Amertrail. I had dual storage boxxes and the thing floated big time. I took the tool boxxes off and now she sinks. BH

Formula Outlaw 07-11-2004 07:52 PM

Last summer when I lost (literallly, the springs broke and the entire assembly came off never to be found and no it was not at the ramp) the rear axle off my triple axle aluminum trailer, I had all the springs replaced with those new one piece units. That simple weight difference started my trailer floating. The first time it happend it was "what the f*8k"? It does not do it every time though which is kind of wierd. I usually follow CSpray's lead. Sometimes I can walk out on it, get it to go down and stay down. Whatever.....................

Sydwayz 07-11-2004 08:16 PM

I added 4-50 pound Dumbells to my Rocket Aluminum trailer with 2 large U-bolts each. I installed them on the inside of the I-beam; two just forward of the front tires; two at the aft most point of the I-beams. Make sure to use a piece of rubber between the dumbells and the aluminun trailer to isolate vibration, and keep away from disimilar metal corrosion. I coated the dumbells in 8 coats of Rustoleum before I installed them too. Worked great, on that piece of $hit Rocket Trailer.

Another solution I have heard of; it still floats, but does not sway is...
Adding a removeable link bar between the trailer, and the rear bumper of your truck. Make it out of two fittings, and a piece of metal pipe, and have it snap in place held by two cotter pins. Not pretty, but simple, and works. It will keep your trailer from floating to the other side of the ramp. You just have to ease the boat onto the trailer, to get it to lower to the concrete.

Quick solution in heavy current... I used a decent piece of twine tied to the trailer a few times, and tied it off to a cleat on the dock. Kept the trailer from floating away, until the boat hit it, then the trailer goes down, and the twine breaks away.

Thunder1 07-12-2004 06:38 AM

Just bought a triple axle for a 34 Fountain I acquired and it sure looks funny floating side ways in the ramp. I was thinking of using some 4 or 6 inch PVC filled with rocks and cement with end caps to put next to the bunks. Seems like it should eliminate the problem with rusting metals and such. Once again not too pretty but hopefully several hundred pounds will keep it in one place. Has anyone here tried that one previously?

Thanks, Karl

Sydwayz 07-12-2004 08:33 AM

I went the PVC route first, with 4 inch PVC about 8 feet long; 4 of them. They were filled with Sack-crete. They did not work. Before going through all the effort of mounting them, I launched my boat, and tied it up somewhere, and just bungeed and heavy duty zip-tied the PVC to my trailer in the parking lot, just to see if they would make the trailer sink. They did not work. IMHO, all the work I did to make the PVC work was a very fruitless effort, and pissed me off. The dumbells worked like a charm, AND looked better as they were more hidden than the PVC.

These are the ones I used:

http://www.thesportsauthority.com/pr...entPage=family

http://tsa.imageg.net/graphics/produ...p855257reg.jpg

Thunder1 07-12-2004 08:38 AM

Sydwayz,

Thanks very much for the information! Sounds like even with the 6 inch, and I was only planning on two, I would still have the problem. I was wondering if you coated the weights with anything, other than as produced, and also how many you needed with what size trailer? Thanks again for your help!!

Karl

Sydwayz 07-12-2004 09:06 AM

Karl, I had a 26' Sonic with an aluminum Rocket Trailer underneath. It had twin 3500lb torsion axles and 5 lug hubs with Aluminum ARE rims, 15x7, 225 tires. See post 13 above for the rest of the info. A short time later, a good friend and I redid the bunks, and added some more heavy wood weight to the trailer. I was able to remove two of the four dumbells at that point. I removed the two forward ones, and left the two rear ones on, even as I sold the boat/trailer. Not sure what you have, but you may just start with two at the very aft section of the I-beam.

Thunder1 07-12-2004 03:46 PM

Brian,

My application is a 34 Fountain with three Mercury 225's which should only be about 9K lbs. The trailer is a little longer than yours with another 3500 axle and 205 Goodyear's and I am having doubts that with six tires if 100-200 lbs will do the job. I bought the trailer several months ago, new, but have only had it in the water once with the results I mentioned. I really like the twine fix but I did tie it off with a 5/8" line and then once the boat was on untied and moved the rig. I will pick up a couple of the weights and give it a shot and just hope some combination finally works. Thanks again for your help!!

Karl

Sydwayz 07-12-2004 04:10 PM

You could very easily use free weights too. Just pick up some large threaded rod, and some nuts, and bolt them to the trailer like giant washers. It will look a little whack though. Be sure to use something to isolate the weights from the trailer aluminum. I found a semi-trailer mud flap on the side of the road that worked perfect for this; about 5/8" thick.

Take a look at your fenders too. Depending on the shape of them, and the lip around the edges, they may be cupping air, and holding it. A couple of 1/2 inch holes drilled at/near the top/front will allieviate that if you see it happening.

CAP071 07-12-2004 07:48 PM

try the dumb bells