Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Man killed by lightning strike (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/83032-man-killed-lightning-strike.html)

Iggy 07-12-2004 09:49 AM

Re: Man killed by lightning strike

I think these posts serve as a reminder to be careful of lightning.
We tend to forget that it can strike from an approaching storm even when there's blue sky overhead. I know it's a hard thing to read about, but here in Florida it's an all too common occurrence. And yes, it is on the local news every time it happens. People just don't pay enough attention to the weather.

I don't fool with it. At the first rumblings of thunder I pack up whatever I'm doing and head indoors. I've seen, first hand, what happens to a pine tree when struck. I've had holes blown in my roof from it. The engine computer in a car we owned was blown up from a passing strike. TV's, stereo's, phones, microwave, GFI outlets, garbage disposal, and several other item's fried from strikes. Yes, we have/had surge protectors on everything.
Don't fool with lightning.

GLH 07-12-2004 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by JASSMAN
Are'nt you the same guy that posted on the death of a 32 year old Father and his 7 year old son that was missing in a boating accident. What's your deal.

I don't recall posting that but at least it is boating related if I did.
Also I've learned a lot on OSO but even before that I knew not to chew tinfoil and jump around with coathangers in both hands in thunderstorms.

Originally Posted by KLAATU
DITTO :(

As eloquent as usual boatless wonder.

jafo 07-12-2004 07:23 PM

:( That's a sad story, but one that happens all too often.
I have personally been struck not once, but twice. I feel awfully lucky to still be around to talk about it. I've also repaired numerous lightning strikes on quite a few private jet aircraft-some of the damage has been quite extensive. I know all too well the power it packs and do not hesitate to seek shelter when it's around.

Mommy Nature carries a mighty big fly swatter most of the time, and ignorant boaters and pilots make a pretty easy target.................Be safe out there!
Jim

Downtown42 07-12-2004 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by JASSMAN
Are'nt you the same guy that posted on the death of a 32 year old Father and his 7 year old son that was missing in a boating accident. What's your deal. If you don't like whats on OSO, flip to a different thread, instead of being inhuman. This is how we learn from what has unfortunately happened to others, lightning is not to be fooled with, but then again you must know so much more than us all, grow up. :( Jeff Jassby

Jass, I don't remember GLH posting negative on that thread. Someone else stated their opinion.
Lightning is taken for granted and a reminder does help.

Downtown42 07-12-2004 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by GLH
Also I've learned a lot on OSO but even before that I knew not to chew tinfoil and jump around with coathangers in both hands in thunderstorms.

GLH, does this mean when I lock my keys in the truck, wait till the rain stops?? What happens if my beer is in there? It can get warm and spoil. :drink:

CAP071 07-12-2004 07:51 PM

I seen a guy who was struck once. He said just before he was hit, He felt a tingle and his body hair stood up.

OH man that's gotta suck

GLH 07-12-2004 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Downtown42
GLH, does this mean when I lock my keys in the truck, wait till the rain stops?? What happens if my beer is in there?

Break the window...Nitwit! :D:D:D

Formula Outlaw 07-12-2004 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Roger 1
I think that it is important to post things of this nature to bring to our attention dangers that we might not be aware of. I knew that lightning could strike well in front of a storm but how many others do. If you can hear the thunder, you are in range. Thunderstorms happen where we boat, outdoors and when we boat, in the summer. A little more knowledge could help to provide us with a few more boating seasons than we would have had otherwise....Thanks for posting the article.

Roger1 you are welcome. Personally, I think this article/post is extremely boating related in the same manner as the skin cancer thread I started last year. I didn't post either to be negative, only as a reminder for something that maybe once in a while we take a little too much for granted. And both can kill you. It's called reality, deal with it.

For those of you who found this thread to be negative or offensive or whatever, I apologize, it was not my intention for it to have that effect.

cuda 07-12-2004 10:13 PM

My crew and I were working across the street from Busch Gardens in Tampa today. A hellacious storm came up, and you can believe this thread went through my mind. My boys think they are immortal, but I made them come inside and get away from the lightning. Of course then we weren't out there to protect our freshly laid tile. Several people ran through it trying to get out of the storm. End result, we had to pull it all back up. :mad:

MitchStellin 07-12-2004 10:54 PM

I knew lightning could preceed a storm but not to this degree. The more I read about this the more care I take with lightning, it ranks up there with boats flipping and spinning. I have a straight hull but still think twice about handling. It doesn't mater what it is, lightning, hulls, seat belts...the more they drive it home the more you think about it...you still look both ways before you cross the road don't you :) Just be careful :cool: