Notices

SOTW Poker Run - Awesome

Old 07-12-2004, 10:41 AM
hootersfan

Default SOTW Poker Run - Awesome

This was my 3rd year attending the Smoke On The Water Poker Run in Grand Haven, MI and if I were to summarize the event I would say AWESOME.

This was the 4th year for the event and they have donated over $100,000 to the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Michigan. I give the organizers a big hand of applause for their time and effort to support a great cause.

For all the people who where there, you probably know me as the guy with the camera taking all the shots. All my time is volunteered and I enjoy helping out the cause.

By mid-afternoon on Friday the docks were full of extremely beautiful and powerful boats. About 10 of the boats were taking Make-A-Wish Children and their families out for rides. It's exciting to talk with the children about their rides. I am glad to see so many boat owners who volunteered their time to put a smile on a child's face.

The food was terrific. Friday's meal was an Italian theme with lasagna as the main dish. Saturday we had a nice breakfast and lunch but when it came to dinner, they went all out. It started out with appetizers of shrimp and crab meat and then the dinner included lobster and filet mignon. The desert table was laid out with a variety of cheese cakes.

This year I was able to be on the Borderline boat captained by Marlin Miller. It was questionable whether we were going to be able to make the run because of problems with one of the engines. While most people were staged for the take-off, we were behind the pack trying to make sure the run would be possible. I have to say that I was disappointed at first because I had never been in the run and I didn't know whether I was going to be in it. I seen the orange smoke from the pace boat and the race was off. Marlin turned towards the back of the pack and took off. Within minutes we had past most of the other boats. I wasn't sure the speed we were going, but I can say that it's very hard to take pictures at high-speed and even harder to change film. I had asked Marlin later what speed we were able to hit and he said 99.8 MPh and that was with one engine not firing well. At lunch they worked on the boat and I was told they were all over the place for the second part of the run. Thanks Marlin for letting me be part of your crew Saturday morning.

This morning (Monday, July 12th), I went to one of my clients site and he asked me what I did this weekend. I found out he was staying in South Haven at his cottage and seen the boats come in for their cards. He enjoyed the spectacular array of boats that came through.

I met many great new people and seen many of my friends that I had met in the past years. As long as their is a Smoke On The Water Poker Run, I'll be there.

Once again I would like to say thanks to everyone who put in their time and effort.

Peace... Tom (Hootersfan)

Old 07-12-2004, 01:33 PM
hootersfan

Default Re: SOTW Poker Run - Awesome

pt

Old 07-13-2004, 07:07 AM
hootersfan

Default Re: SOTW Poker Run - Awesome

pt