Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone use the Sterling State Park launch?? >

Anyone use the Sterling State Park launch??

Notices

Anyone use the Sterling State Park launch??

Old 07-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone use the Sterling State Park launch??

I'd like to go out of sterling if i can but i'm not sure how deep the channel is between the ramp and the boat club. Does anyone know??
Old 07-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Registered

Default Re: Anyone use the Sterling State Park launch??

I've used the launch at Bolles Harbor nearby. (just south of there, maybe the next ramp south?) That was nice and deep. You just have to stay north of the rock wall for a few hundred yards.

When I go to sterling by boat from Toledo, the water is fine, you just can't cut too close to shore in the area of Detroit Edison. You have to go out from the park at a 90 degree angle for a while. But in general, it isn't that scary around sterling.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Registered

By nice and deep I mean like 8 feet, sorry.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Registered

I used to, but haven't launched there since they redid it. You have to drive straight for the yacht club and take a right just before you hit the docks. If you go in the middle of the river heading out towards the lake you will run a ground, watch the bouys. (again this is before the construction last summer or the summer before)
Old 07-13-2004, 06:27 AM
Registered

Thanks guys, I use bolles harbor every time i go out but i'm looking for somewhere with a nice ramp where i can leave my truck and trailer over night. I can use the ramp over at trout's marina and leave the truck there but i would rather use the state park if the channel is deep enough.

dkwestern, i use to take my 19' bowrider out of sterling all the time but i haven't been there in about three years either. I just can't remember how deep the channel was before you get to the boat club, i know it was shallow but since the lake is up this year i might just have to take the chance. You have to wonder what those people are thinking that get stuck on the sand bar, there's a line of buoy's all the way to the corner and every year you see people that try to cut through early where it's 6" deep

Fund Razor, I make the trip from bolles to the raisin river quite often and usually to the hot-hole a few times a year so i'm pretty familiar with the water in front of Edison. Of course i had to learn the hard way with my little boat trying to get in the hot-hole for the first time, i stuck the prop in the sand and stalled the boat, fortunately it's sandy and it didn't cause any damage other than my pride.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:15 AM
Registered

I did that with my 21, dk. The ladies were very impressed. The best part was that I was trying to get up on plane and caught the sand with my cleaver.
Sudden stop, sudden silence, everybody laughing but me. No damage, thank God.

Wouldn't try that with the 26 though.

What about calling up to Sterling and asking about ramp channel depth?

I was going up there today and go swimming (no chit), I was gonna post a pic of my depth finder with my boat up in the channel, to be funny, but it's looking like storms this afternoon. Probably won't go. That can be a long ride back to Toledo if you have storms rolling in from the west. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten stuck. By the time you see it coming over Monroe, your screwed.

I want radar.

Oh, and I want internet access on the boat so I can constantly see the NOAA water level chart. That would be the bomb.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fund razor
What about calling up to Sterling and asking about ramp channel depth?

I was going up there today and go swimming (no chit), I was gonna post a pic of my depth finder with my boat up in the channel, to be funny, but it's looking like storms this afternoon. Probably won't go. That can be a long ride back to Toledo if you have storms rolling in from the west. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten stuck. By the time you see it coming over

Monroe, your screwed.

I want radar.

Oh, and I want internet access on the boat so I can constantly see the NOAA water level chart. That would be the bomb.
oh come on you chicken those storms will be way up north besides a west wind usually means calm seas I tried calling the park before but so far i haven't been able to find anyone that has a clue. I'll just try it next time i'm out there i think it's deep enough

Fund Razor, will you be out this weekend for thunder on the river?? I thought about heading to t-town if i can't round a crew up for the islands.