Notices

Medium Duty Trucks

Old 06-25-2004, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Medium Duty Trucks

Is anybody using a medium duty truck such as one of the crew cab Freightliners, KWs, Petes or Internationals as their tow vehicle? We are considering a bigger truck for the Apache and are feeling out the options. So far I would have to say that the Pete is the front runner. Anybody have any experience with any of these type of trucks? Here are a few pics of one of the Peterbilts.
Attached Thumbnails Medium Duty Trucks-01.jpg   Medium Duty Trucks-02.jpg   Medium Duty Trucks-03.jpg  

Old 06-25-2004, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Re: Medium Duty Trucks

Pete interior.
Attached Thumbnails Medium Duty Trucks-04.jpg   Medium Duty Trucks-05.jpg   Medium Duty Trucks-06.jpg  

Old 06-25-2004, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

HD,

Did you finally get the Apache up to MD? Last time I was at Martin Offshore I don't think it was there.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

The Pete is my favorite of all of the medium duty trucks. They are a little salty but once you get in one you will wonder how you ever pulled without it.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by lucky strike
Did you finally get the Apache up to MD? Last time I was at Martin Offshore I don't think it was there.
Nope. Not yet. Believe it or not, we just got the last of the drive parts in from Mercury on Wednesday. Unbelievable, huh? It only took 5 weeks. Anyhow, we finally have all of the parts, so the drive assembly is now under way.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hot Duck

Do you need a CDL to drive that pete ??????, I see it has air brake.

Mike
Old 06-27-2004, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

In Maryland, if it is a recreational vehicle you do not need a CDL. Because of the weight, however, and because it cannot be classified as a motorhome, Maryland does require at least a class B non-commercial license for this truck. If we were to go one step further up the ladder to a "full size" semi tractor, then we would need a class A license, but again it would not have to be a CDL if it is for recreational use. It all sounds really confusing, but it is explained pretty well in the MVA handbook. Here is a link if you want to read into it a little further.

Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration

Last edited by Hot Duck; 06-27-2004 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:03 PM
Registered

hey will, sounds great if your not leaving maryland, but when you leave maryland you will need a cdl. if i were you id check on that further. does not sound right. hope all is well, dave
Old 06-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wow. I am away from the board for a few days and my post drops 4 pages! You guys have been busy!

Stecz20: Hey buddy. I have done some research and it looks like we are OK. I checked on the CDL and class requirements before even considering a larger truck because I don't want to be the only one that can drive it. That would stick me driving all of the time, which would really stink. Anyhow, in Maryland, if it is not for hire and is only used for personal recreation, you only need the class of license that meets the parameters of that vehicle. Here in Maryland it would be a class B license for a truck like one of the Pete 330s or the Freightliner 70 series. This class B license would also address the air brake issues. So, a minimum of a class B license is required, but it does not have to be a CDL.

Now, as far as operating out of state, I was told by the Maryland DOT that other states will follow the regulations from the state where the driver's license and vehicle tags are issued/registered. So, according to them, if you are legal to drive a certain vehicle in Maryland, then you can operate it in other states as well. They related this to a motorcycle license when explaining it to me. Maryland, along with most other states, requires motorcycle operators to have a special class of license in order to operate their bike on the road. So, they said that if you are licensed to operate a motorcycle in Maryland, then you can operate it in other states as well.

After hanging up the phone with MD DOT, I thought that this was too easy. So, I called a MD State Trooper friend that does mobile DOT inspections and he told me the same thing. As long as you have the correct class of license for the vehicle, it does not have to be a CDL as long as you are using it for personal recreation use only.

Now, you know me. I had to go even further just to be sure and to make sure that I had all bases covered. For this reason I called numerous companies that manufacture this class of truck. They all said that a CDL is not required for this class of truck unless you are hauling for hire. They said that some states don't even require a license class above a regular car, but that the owner would have to adhere to the laws of the specific state in which the vehicle was registered.

So, to make a long story short, I think that we are OK if we can find a good deal on one of these trucks. It may be a long shot, but you never know what you'll find if you look hard enough.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:30 PM
Registered

so does this mean your getting rid of the f-450?

Quick Reply: Medium Duty Trucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.