Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dead 496HO fixed. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/83353-dead-496ho-fixed.html)

29 OUTLAW 07-16-2004 07:59 AM

Dead 496HO fixed.

Last Sunday I made a post about one of my 496HO’s shutting off for no apparent reason. It simply shut off while running 3000rpm with no warning. Attempts to re-start would crank but not fire.

Problem turned out to be a bad trim-limit switch. FYI for anyone who may run into the same type issue.

Reckless32 07-16-2004 08:07 AM

Re: Dead 496HO fixed.

HUH?!! A bad trim-limit switch?! How the hell is that connected to the engine running?

CigDaze 07-16-2004 08:12 AM

I was looking forward to hearing what your solution was going to be.
Hard to believe such a simple little thing would cause the entire engine to go haywire. :rolleyes:

29 OUTLAW 07-16-2004 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Reckless32
HUH?!! A bad trim-limit switch?! How the hell is that connected to the engine running?

It has to do with the "Smart Craft" system. It's all tied together. "Smart" right???

97BossHammer 07-16-2004 08:34 AM

I guess you gotta be pretty "smart" to figure out it was part of the "smart craft" system. ;)

Tantrum 07-16-2004 08:42 AM

Did you have codes in the engine that pionted you there or was it just luck that you found it.
Sounds like a very minor issue to fix but finding it could cost big $$$ and headaches.

29 OUTLAW 07-16-2004 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tantrum
Did you have codes in the engine that pionted you there or was it just luck that you found it.
Sounds like a very minor issue to fix but finding it could cost big $$$ and headaches.

I didn't fix it. Repair shop did. I plan on asking him if he found it by using a scan tool or found it thru past experience.

It is kind of scary when you think of all the electronic parts in these new engines that can screw you. It's amazing the engines don't break every day.

BobbyB 07-16-2004 09:04 AM

Glad to hear it wasnt anything major.

29 OUTLAW 07-16-2004 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by BobbyB
Glad to hear it wasnt anything major.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. It was $515.00 but it's better than loosing a weekend. Each lost weekend is worth about $750.00 in ownership cost down the drain.

Raylar 07-16-2004 10:06 AM

29 Outlaw:
Wow, I know the switch you are talking about,How much did they charge for the part?
The Smart Craft system is designed to keep motor or boater from injuring parts and keeping Merc out of warranty issues. I am not sure its so smart. I think there should be a code reader guage on the dash as part of the system, so boaters can know whats wrong and possibly an override button to get you home. What if you're at one end of the lake or river and you just need to ge back to the dock or trailer when its just a simple part like a trim limit switch and you know what trim your outdrive is in before you run anyway? What if lube oil is real low in the bottle and you can simply add some?That would be "Smart" and god knows they can afford at their prices to give some real "user friendly" features.
Just some "dumb" thinking- Ha!
Raylar