Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Shore Dreams Pics (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/83449-shore-dreams-pics.html)

DaveP 07-18-2004 11:37 AM

Re: Shore Dreams Pics

Hey CBR,

I wish I was out there to see you. Unfortunately I have been in the house with Pneumonia for the last 2 weeks.

Sharkey - thanks so much for taking the pictures. Can I trouble you for a hi-res set of them on a CD for me to release to the magazines to promote the event? It would be greatly apreciated!

As for the whole event - it just amazes me what NJPPC accomplishes. I couldn't be more proud of the great people that make up the club. I just wish I was there to be a part of it.

Next year - I'll make damn sure I'm not sick this week!

sy goldberg 07-18-2004 01:14 PM

TOTAL DOLLAR INSURANCE was the first sponsor of the NJPPC and events like this one validate my judgement.

FunHome 07-18-2004 01:25 PM

Way to go Guy's!!!! You make me proud to be a Boater!!!

I sure see a lot of smiles on those people's faces!!!!

That's what it is all about!!!

SHARKEY-IMAGES 07-18-2004 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by DaveP
Sharkey - thanks so much for taking the pictures. Can I trouble you for a hi-res set of them on a CD for me to release to the magazines to promote the event? It would be greatly apreciated!

I already made a CD up for you last night Dave. You were missed at the event! I hope you kick that illness soon...... :(

CBR 07-18-2004 06:16 PM

DaveP:

%$#&, I knew my eyesight was getting worse as I age. <gg>

Well, whoever it was, thanks for waving back at the lineup of cruisers rafted up. You were the only one slowly cruising by our group.

I was surprised how negative the average cruiser in NJ waters views the go fasts. Most think for some odd reason that high speed boats cause huge wakes, not true as we all know. I did my best to point this out.

Most cruisers should be mad at deep draft trawlers instead.

Get better DaveP, sorry to hear you were sick!

DaveP 07-19-2004 12:28 AM

Here is a story that appeared in the Asbury Park Press today:

Special carnival features high-speed boat rides for the kids

Published in the Asbury Park Press 7/18/04
By NICHOLAS CLUNN
STAFF WRITER
SEASIDE HEIGHTS -- Some special-needs kids went for the rides of their lives yesterday when members from the New Jersey Performance Powerboat Club motored them around Barnegat Bay at speeds up to 80 mph.

The rides that began at the municipal pier were part of a carnival sponsored by the club's charitable arm, Shore Dreams for Kids. A record number 600 children with physical and mental disabilities -- at least double last year's attendance -- attended the annual event at the softball field across from the bayside pier near Kearney Avenue.

They came in buses and vans from across New Jersey to spend a day in the sun. Shore Dreams volunteers served up hamburgers and hot dogs. A disc jockey played party tunes. The dunk tank was popular, but the boat rides, for many, took the cake.

Jesse Grove, a 6-year-old student in the Toms River School District, reenacted his reaction during the boat ride.

"I was like ahhhhh!" he said. "I was freaking out when we went super fast."

Jesse's 8-year-old brother, Tyler, said he liked the "boats and dunking the girl in the tank."

About 30 power boats ferried the passengers about 5 miles to Silver Bay, which is off the northern section of Dover, and then back to the pier, said Rose Intile of Toms River.

"Some kids wanted to go slower. Some kids wanted to go faster," she said.

She and her husband Mike spent about five hours giving rides on Sea Drive, their 33-foot boat. They enjoyed volunteering their time. Smiling children and parents was the payoff, they said.

"You get to see the enjoyment on everyone's faces," said Mike Intile.

Yesterday's carnival was the first time Shore Dreams, a nonprofit organization, sponsored the event. It was sponsored by the powerboat club last year and by Special Olympics for about 10 years before that, said Rob Cline, the group's vice president.

Shore Dreams ran the carnival on donated food and money, he said. About 50 volunteers from the three Toms River public high schools helped with pitching tents, fitting kids with life jackets and other tasks. The students were members of TEAM, a club whose acronym stands for: Together Everyone Achieves More.

Next year, Shore Dreams hopes to expand the carnival by including rides and a stage for live music.

Nicholas Clunn: (609) 978-4597 or [email protected]

DaveP 07-19-2004 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by sy goldberg
TOTAL DOLLAR INSURANCE was the first sponsor of the NJPPC and events like this one validate my judgement.

Sy - you were the very 1st NJPPC sponsor and we will NEVER forget your dedication to our organization. It is greatly appreciated!

ScarabMike 07-19-2004 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dave,

We really missed you there. Hope you're feeling better.

Rose and I had a great time. It was great to see the smiling faces all day.

I'm still not quite sure how I ended up getting the newspaper quotes. I felt bad when I read it because of all of the work the everyone put into the event...why quote me?

Anyway, here is the ultimate definition of satisfaction. A picture is worth a thousand words.....

Phantom1 07-19-2004 10:11 AM

Absolutely awesome. I am sending a donation today to help with next year!

Donation Form

AugiePensa 07-19-2004 10:48 AM

Dave, great show and by the looks of the Children they all had a ball. I guess one look at my cousin Val's gut(The only one in every photo without a shirt) would make anyone laugh. I hope the little we could do will put a smile on a childs face. You and everyone at NJPPC have done a BEAUTIFUL thing here, I'm pretty sure The Good Lord is smiling! Keep up the good work and you know we'll help any way we can. Lisa, Augie, Samantha and Augie(AJ) Jr.