Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Turbo Diesel Powered (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/83452-turbo-diesel-powered.html)

super termoli 07-21-2004 09:42 AM

Re: Turbo Diesel Powered

Volvo certainly is making some progress but still nowhere close to Yanmars, especially as these will be bumped up to close to 500hp. when they become electronically controlled. Secondly, those drives will not last in high performance applications. They already have a dubious reliability record with 310hp. and even with 285hp. of the KAD300. And this is on cruisers doing 45 mph max. Imagine now putting them on something capable of 60+ and light, meaning frequent launching off waves... No hope guys, forget stern drives with diesels and big torque...

lightningpro 07-21-2004 09:50 AM

cool

C_Spray 07-21-2004 10:00 AM

Super - Are you aware that the DP-R drive coupled to the D6 engines is totally new and way bigger that the current series of drives?

The real answer here is 40% overdrive gears between the engine and the drive...

super termoli 07-21-2004 10:09 AM

Yep, I know. It's just that my experience has been terrible. I had the misfortune of running KAD44s with DP and it was a drive disaster. Then I was dumb enough to have KAD300s on a Cranchi 39 and guess what? Drives kept on causing me grief. So, I may be a bit harsh but once you disappoint, it's hard to climb back up that hill. Engines themselves are great, it's just the drives that suck. And I don't think it has much to do with Volvo. It's just that the whole Z-drive concept is getting old.

Jassman 07-21-2004 10:34 AM

Question Super T. :) If you say have a boat like a 4300 that does 67-70 w/triple 315 yans and Arnesons, and about the same speed with twinn 440 yans, what would be a better way to go. What if you put a stern drive on like from Weismann vs a surface drive from Arneson. I'm uncertain of getting on plane as well as docking with Arnesons, both are extremely important to me vs 1 extra mph, these are just Q's that I have from inexperience or what I have read on the board. Would the stern drive be faster or slightly slower. Thanks Jeff

cobra860 07-21-2004 10:37 AM

Well the volvo dpr drive is way much bigger than the drives you had on your kad 44 or kad 300. it look like the volvo dp drive but physical messurement is way much bigger. and heavyer.

the sterndrive on volvo d6 weighs aprox 220 pounds
a sterndrive on volvo kad 43-44-300 weighs 130-140 pounds.

I am personally not a fan of volvo engines exept for the kad 43.
after you have done a little tune up job on the diesel pump and put a manual switch on the compressor. Then it pumps out 250-280 hp, instead of 216 hp.

Jassman 07-21-2004 01:09 PM

What has to be done to pump up a 315 Yanmar and a 440 Yanmar. Whats all involved to add another 40-70hp and do it safely, thanks Jeff

JUSTONCE 07-21-2004 02:10 PM

What's the deal with the first pic in post 18. Why is the far starboard tach @0. Its still making boost so it must be running.???

leviathan 07-21-2004 05:31 PM

One would think, given the info you've pointed out, that the tacho is F****d!

Jassman 07-21-2004 10:55 PM

How reliable are Seateks. I know off the web site they can be serviced by Innovation Marine in sarasota. What is the life expectancy of say their 750 hp or even their 850 hp, 5000 hours or more, Thanks :) Jeff