Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Washington NC Races... spectator logisitcs. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/83704-washington-nc-races-spectator-logisitcs.html)

Sydwayz 07-22-2004 01:23 PM

Washington NC Races... spectator logisitcs.

We should be rolling into town sometime late Thursday night, or Friday. Staying at the Days in with the LMG.

What do we do with the boat?

Where do we launch?

Any place to slip for the nights?

Any place I can anchor off relatively close to shore in calm water, and leave the boat at night?

Is it best to trailer it each night?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 07-22-2004 02:43 PM

Re: Washington NC Races... spectator logisitcs.

Brian, I did not go last time APBA was in town, but Christa did. She was with Curt and Martha, in Curt's Fountain. I seem to remember they pulled the boat out at night and the Fountain Factory let the spectators keep thier boats at the factory.

Anyway we will be rolling in around 9:00 pm Thurs. See you in a couple of weeks.

Jan

Tarheel 07-22-2004 02:44 PM

Brian, Anna Ball's is from there I can help...

What do we do with the boat? There will be a no wake zone around the course, so if you move during the races...its at an idle. Is probably best to anchor on the north side of the river to watch.

Where do we launch? You can launch at a ramp on third street about a mile and qtr east from 17 (north side of the bridge). Have launched the 35 there with no problem. Beats the traffic at Fountain. There's not much parking though. Be early. Also, call the factory, they will probably let you use their ramp...but it will be a mad house during the races.

Any place to slip for the nights? In downtown Washington at the 17 bridge there are free dock slips. Some with shore power. They may be charging for them during the race but there are 40 or 50 slips along the waterfront. You should reserve one if possible.

Any place I can anchor off relatively close to shore in calm water, and leave the boat at night? No real beaches like Fairview. You can anchor but be careful of depth. The river shallows up outside the channel west of Fountain.

Is it best to trailer it each night? Up to you. Not much to do on the water. A couple of bars on main street one block from the slips. What guys did during the last PRA event was they launched at Fountain and moved their vehicles over to where the boat slips were in town. Then they could get around at night. Also, Fountain may host stuff at night so you may want to go over there and hang out. They did a concert last time and had open pits. Pretty cool.

If you can launch at Fountain, they will likely let you park your trailer there. Then bring the truck over to town where the slips are while someone else brings the boat...then you're all set. Be careful about gas. All of the water borne docks were under water this time last year. Fill up on the trailer.

Bill

fountain1fan 07-22-2004 10:06 PM

brian welcom to fountain , the confort inn is close by it's 64 a night. the host hotel is 100 + plus . give me a call on my cell (336) 344 1610 after 5 pm if i can help . the pit's are opean all weekend and free party at fountain on sat night, with a live beach band . go to fountain's webb site they have all ther info or sbi it is going to be a awesome party . ps i wount to go for a ride on that at robbie rogers

fountain1fan 07-22-2004 10:09 PM

can't wait to see all the oso friends and family robbie allison hunter janna

fountain1fan 07-22-2004 10:15 PM

brian you can launch at whichard beach, they have a good ramp alot of the big boats launch there it is down past fountain at the end of the road ,

Ange 07-23-2004 06:54 AM

We saw a lot of boats going in and out at Whichards last year. No one seemed to have any problems at all.

Sydwayz 07-23-2004 10:46 AM

GREAT information everyone! Thank you. See you all down there.

Gordo 07-27-2004 09:04 PM

SydWayz,
By all means, stop by the Super V "RMS" #2 Phantom. Always like to put a face to the name.
Mike "Gordo" Gordon

Sydwayz 07-27-2004 09:43 PM

No problem Gordo. I hear Too Old may make it into town as well.