Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat Explosion on Michigan Lake Kills One (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/83817-boat-explosion-michigan-lake-kills-one.html)

CAP071 07-24-2004 09:53 PM

Boat Explosion on Michigan Lake Kills One

Updated: 08:13 PM EDT
Boat Explosion on Michigan Lake Kills One

HOLLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. (July 24) - A boat exploded, burst into flames and sank Saturday on a western Michigan lake, killing one of the two men aboard.

The explosion on the 1959 twin-engine wooden boat knocked the men unconscious, authorities said.

When the boat's owner, John M. Huegli, awoke, he tried but failed to rouse Peter C. Murray and abandoned the boat as it was consumed by flames on Lake Macatawa, Ottawa County Sheriff's Sgt. Kevin Allman told The Holland Sentinel.

Divers recovered the body of Murray, 52, of Ann Arbor. Huegli, 59, of Dexter, was hospitalized for minor injuries and released.

The cause of the explosion was unknown. Huegli told authorities that the boat had been fueled and vented Saturday morning, Allman said.

7/24/2004 19:58:55

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press.

MitchStellin 07-25-2004 12:50 AM

Re: Boat Explosion on Michigan Lake Kills One

Thats sad, I was away today, I live 1/10th of a mile from the lake, bet I hear about it. Too bad, sounds like a fuel leak.

cuda 07-25-2004 06:46 AM

Damn Capo, your like the grim reaper anymore. :(

R Addiction 07-25-2004 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by cuda
Damn Capo, your like the grim reaper anymore. :(

Hey Yo!! He's a postal worker from Philly, what do you expect?!! :D

Formula Outlaw 07-25-2004 09:21 AM

That's sad. Condolances to his family and friends.

RJ1340 07-25-2004 04:52 PM

Not to make light of a tragedy, but I can think of worse ways to go than on my boat.

Waterfoul 07-25-2004 04:54 PM

Front page of our paper today. Guy was taking his best friend for a ride on his recently restored 27 foot wooden boat. Full fuel tank, and he just had some work done on the carberators. My roomate happened to be near there when it happened... said there was a loud thud sound, then flames and a lot of smoke. The owner managed to get his dog out of the boat, but could not get near enough to his unconcious friend to save him. Coasties were there within minutes (their station is just up the lake from where the incident happened) but could not get near enough to render assistance due to the high heat from the burning boat. A guy I work with said his neighbor was fishing on shore at Collen Park, right where it happened... said the guy who died did not go quietly.... said it was the worst thing he had ever seen as the man awoke and started screaming while the flames engulfed him. I cannot imagine seeing that happen.

Both men were from the Ann Arbor, MI area and were in Holland on vacation.

'Foul

candyman35 07-25-2004 09:51 PM

Very sad! :(