Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1000hp SC engines (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/83904-1000hp-sc-engines.html)

Iggy 07-27-2004 05:30 AM

Re: 1000hp SC engines

Awsome motors!!!!

Wouldn't the easiest way to de-tune a blower motor is to change the blower drive to a lower ratio? Something closer to 1:1 or less.

glassdave 07-27-2004 06:28 AM

what kind of outdrives are on the boat?

MIAMIBOYZ 07-27-2004 07:40 AM

Hi Frank, first find out if they have solid rollers on them, if they do they are in most cases 262 duration or more on that set up. I would remove the solid rollers and put hydraulic roller with a duration in the 230`2 to 240`s and then this would de tune your motor. You need to change the valve springs as well, it will cost you about 1k per motor in parts to change over. I`m building a 598 and a 632 ci motors at the moment, so feal free to ask me anything.

Albert

thedonz 07-28-2004 10:10 AM

Hi Albert, thanks for the input...I'll certainly keep you posted....heck, maybe even see you out there in P4. :rolleyes:

Frank

jawbreakerkid 07-28-2004 10:45 AM

owning a boat with big power can be a lot of fun or a load of problems. depending upon how many hours you put on in a year, you can expect to at least redo the top ends each year (approx. 50-80hrs depending upon how hard you run the boat). if you don't, you are jeopardizing the entire motor. you shoud get close to 150-200 hrs from the bottom ends.

my only piece of advice is that unless you have the cash in your pocket or your account to replace an entire motor, you are in over your head. affording the boat payment is one thing, but affording the maintenance is another. staying on top of the maintenance is costly, but not near as costly as replacing an entire motor because one of the needle bearings siezed in a rocker arm.

having said that, there is nothing like the scream of a set of blowers in your ear.

RWD is an excellent boat (assuming this is the boat you are looking at)!! :)

chad

Neverfastenuf 07-28-2004 11:24 AM

One point to ponder. Some say 150-200 hours on the high HP motors. Others say 500-600 hours, ie. DMAN. His Pfaff Motors had waaaaaaaay over 200 hours on them at time of rebuild. I suppose it is how they are serviced and maintained. Sam

thedonz 07-28-2004 11:48 AM

what power were DMAN's angines?

boot 07-28-2004 12:08 PM

All good points ..
I like the way MYPANTERA28 is thinking . If you want them de tuned anyway , GET RID OF THE SOLID ROLLER CAMS !!!! Then you have NO worries !

The only bad thing at that point is NO big engines should idle for any longer then you absolutley have to . These engines are set up with "Loose " Pistons to allow for expension . AT idle they are cold and loose and allow alot of fuel to get by them and into the oil . Thats why you need to change the oil all the time ...

Also you must pressure test intercolers regular to amke sure they are not spitting water into the oil . In my opinion , there should be NO water going through the intercoolers at idle or very low rpms . If it does it creates a lot of condensation and agin gets in the oil . ALso I think it idles better that way . Just my .02... Joe

lucky strike 07-28-2004 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by thedonz
what power were DMAN's angines?

900-1000 Plaff's.

LS JR.

thedonz 07-29-2004 12:00 AM

every day I learn something new, thanks everyone......keep the info coming....I am planning on seeing the boat this weekend......keep you all posted.....