Notices

Don Aronow 39' cat

Old 07-30-2004, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Don Aronow 39' cat

While many would like to compare this cat to a Skater or MTI, it was not the purpose of the boat therefore any comparison is way off base. They were never designed to compete in that area or market place.

The most poplular boat that was built of this model was with Arnesons and Merlin Diesel Power. Owned and loved by one person so much that he sold it looking for something better only to repurchase the same boat for more than he sold it to get it back. Finally sold again years later, the boat is still running and loved even more by the current owner.

It really depends on what the person buying or building is looking for in a boat, but just because it is a cat does not mean that the purpose was the same as what the other manufactures have designed there boats to acheive.

My opinion was that Don had a very different business model, his own way of doing things and an outlook on who could afford his boats, what the age group was that bought his boats and what they were looking for in a boat.

He once told me when I asked him why he built the production boats so heavy, they could be faster if lighter and his answer was, they don't break, I don't have hull warranty problems, bad public relations, legal issues and they don't sound like a garbage can with a bunch of rocks in it when it hits big seas. The people that can afford and buy my boats are older and want comfort more than speed. Just look at all the old ones that are still around and still running he would say.

If you are interested in rebuilding one I will be glad to tell you about the hundreds and hundreds of miles and probably over 2000 actual hours I have in running one in just about every sea condition offshore and throughout the Bahamas.

AC
Old 07-30-2004, 10:44 PM
Registered

Thanks folks,
It sorta sheds light on why they put such big power in it (800 SC X 2 ) but it only gets mid to high 70's according to the broker. I dunno, I only would use it for Havasu and Catalina trips and it is a piece of history for bad or for good. I think Don was a mountain of a man and from a stock that is in short supply now a days R.I.P.
The green stripes are painted on, I think a "Don Anarow" signature motiff would be cool. Whaddya think???

Kenny
Old 07-30-2004, 10:56 PM
Registered

With Arnesons and Merlin 400hp Diesels the boat would run 70 all day long regardless if there were 12 people in it or 2. One thing it is....a big party platform.

I have gone to Nassau on 128 gallons from N. Miami and gone to Little San Salvadore in 10 to 12 seas with not a care about being in open ocean. Of course like any boat, after you are in it for 400 or 500 hundred hours you get to trust it and know what it will do.

I took a 38 Cigarette from Corsica to Sardenia through the Staights of Bonfactcio during a Mistral and given the two I would have rather had the 39 Cat.

AC
Old 07-31-2004, 01:15 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

party platofrm yes, speed demon no.

70 with asd's and deisels is kind of a nice setup though. quick enough and STUPIDLY reliable. I think i coudl roll withat setup like that.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Andrew, It's very refreshing to get FACTS not opinions, from someone who was and still is "there".
I had suspected what you confirmed about Don Aronows' boat building philosophy. It seems every one complains about the old Apaches, and Cigs needing big power, but geez guys, they are still around after 20+ years of being rode hard and put away wet!! that should tell us something. There is a 27 Magnum at the shop that is doing some glass repair on my boat ...damn this thing is built solid. Sure would have been nice to see what Mr. Aronow could have come up with with the newer methods and materials.
Thanks
Old 07-31-2004, 06:38 AM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andrew,
Great personal account of ownership. I enjoyed reading it!
Russ
Old 07-31-2004, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

i have been looking at that boat for months, just need a good windfall of cash to buy. bank will not finance, i don't care for the basic paint stripes but thats easy to hook up. the bilge looks like you could do surgeory in it.thats a party boat for sure. huge cockpit and would probably eat 6 ft waves for a snack. i saw the 1 in keywest with the american theme paint. bad ass!!! i 'm guessing that the trailer won't go to far ,so that would set back a buyer , what 12 g's??? if i had that cat ,and the cig i already have need i say more
Old 07-31-2004, 07:11 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew Corn

If you are interested in rebuilding one I will be glad to tell you about the hundreds and hundreds of miles and probably over 2000 actual hours I have in running one in just about every sea condition offshore and throughout the Bahamas.

AC
Interesting...A rough water cat, just exactly what Don said it was.
Diesel engines, Arneson drives....Look out Battleship NJ!

Last edited by CigaretteFirefox; 07-31-2004 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:55 AM
Registered

Thanx for contributing AC....I only wish I would have arrived in Florida three years earlier so I could have met the man.....
Old 07-31-2004, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
Andrew, It's very refreshing to get FACTS not opinions, from someone who was and still is "there".
I had suspected what you confirmed about Don Aronows' boat building philosophy. It seems every one complains about the old Apaches, and Cigs needing big power, but geez guys, they are still around after 20+ years of being rode hard and put away wet!! that should tell us something. There is a 27 Magnum at the shop that is doing some glass repair on my boat ...damn this thing is built solid. Sure would have been nice to see what Mr. Aronow could have come up with with the newer methods and materials.
Thanks
Wrong !! I have experience with those things Most notably and memoraly when I was in Bahrain the Kings brother had one..The trait that struck me the most was it stopped like power-brakes (what does that say) and the Weight was like all over ..when a boat has weight high;And corresponding CG at slow speeds the rocking/rolling pendulum action what ever you can visualize it as is Much more pronounced..

Coupled with a 25 degree bottom and next to no running surface outside of the 4 1/2 " strakes..

To me it was just very uncomfortable..

Quick Reply: Don Aronow 39' cat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.