Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Opinions on the 1997 Jaguar XK8 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/84463-opinions-1997-jaguar-xk8.html)

Dean Ferry 08-03-2004 04:02 PM

Opinions on the 1997 Jaguar XK8

The wife wants to buy my neighbor's 1997 Jaguar XK8 convertible, ~44,000 miles and I've heard good and bad things about the reliability of Jags that old?
The car is mint condition and all the maintnance has been done by the Jag. dealer. Anyone have any experiences with that year Jag and what I can expect?
Thanks,
Dean

BLee 08-03-2004 04:14 PM

Re: Opinions on the 1997 Jaguar XK8

Just got rid of one. Same year. Didn't like it at all.

The engine always ran great. I can't say the same thing about the other "options." The automatic steering wheel adjust, seat warmers, stereo, etc, all just kinda worked when they wanted to.

They are very sluggish on the low end. Top end is better but they run more like a sedan. They have pretty good handling and feel very sturdy. The dash components/fittings weren't very secure as in they pop out sometimes. Kinda cheap. They look good, but the looks are only skin deep in many areas.

Good luck!

BLee 08-03-2004 04:16 PM

and it had 18,000 miles on it.

Lofty 08-03-2004 04:21 PM

Does it come with a AAA card and cab fair? We had one, or I should say, my other half had one. We hated that car! It didn't work well for a women who doesn't have an ear for mechanical problems. Trany broke, cooling system failures, interior problems, electrical problems and for GODS sake don't brake a mirror. They're rather $$$$.

It did however have allot of miles.... on the back of a tow truck!

She has an M3 now that we love. Haven't had a lick of trouble from that car and it's getting near 100k mi. Gas, oil changes and the big expense (only from when I drive it) is tires.

X-Rated30 08-03-2004 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
The wife wants to buy my neighbor's 1997 Jaguar XK8 convertible...

Had a 1994 XJS Convertible that I loved, but can't say it was "trouble free". Sold it with about 90k miles on it and took a pretty good hit. Maintenance was a little high, too. I had a fuel pump go out on a trip... $1200 :eek:

Never had the aformentioned problems with the interior (and thought it held up well), but Lucas is still the "Prince of Darkness". :D

Still, there is something about that Jag look and ride.

lucky strike 08-03-2004 05:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Buy a Mercedes SL-500

Much better car !!!!!!!!!

L.S.

OSO Special-96 SL500 Sport, 53k miles.

WickedWon 08-04-2004 06:09 AM

Don't, LS is right the SL's hold their value and work everyday, the Jags new driveline is fair but ya never want to own one out of warranty. When you're done with it NO ONE wants to give you anything for it.

Dean Ferry 08-04-2004 09:15 AM

Thanks guys,
Dean

super termoli 08-04-2004 09:40 AM

Since Ford took over, mechanics work fine. They're very reliable and have nothing in common with old and dark days of Lucas electronic and injection systems. Electrics have also improved but that's still the weak link. The steering column problem seems to be an across the range issue as I've also had it on the XJR. Mirrors, seat heaters, windows etc... do have a bad temper and if you do not garage your Jag without exceptions, humidity will get to them and disaster will strike.

Also, it's true that the XK8 is a bit lethargic for a convertible which although not an all-out sports car should at least have the torque to make things fun and pleasant. The XK8 does not have it and it does drive like a big sedan. Underpowered. The XKR is a totally different beast. What difference a supercharger makes!!! :D

While I do believe that the old SL is a better car, it's starting to look dated while the Jag does have a more timeless line and I believe it will age more gracefully. It all depends on the price really... If you're getting a great deal on a pampered XK8, go for it, it's a nice ride. If the guy is asking a market price and it's not a steal, then there are other options to consider...

LivinVIP 08-04-2004 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by lucky strike
Buy a Mercedes SL-500

Much better car !!!!!!!!!

L.S.

OSO Special-96 SL500 Sport, 53k miles.

Nice SL 500 LS,

I thought Bobby had his eye on that SL for some
weekend Pimpin !!

Victor