Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Are there any boat mechanics that would do this? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/84526-there-any-boat-mechanics-would-do.html)

Shah Mat 08-04-2004 06:05 PM

Re: Are there any boat mechanics that would do this?

Originally Posted by Panther
Why do you think dominos stopped the whole pizza dilevery guarantee in 30 min...

I think that was because a pizza delievery person was involved in a fatal car accident. And his excuse for reckless driving was......... :rolleyes:

Karma,
I defiantly agree with you, but I think this would only apply in the auto repair industry, but in the boat business, there's not enough competition.

Boatfixr 08-04-2004 08:27 PM

I think that the mechanic would want to have the money in his pocket instead of the boat at his shop. That is the incentive! Parts backorders, weather, seasonal workload, administrative time, telephone interruptions, and many other things come into play. Very few jobs have identical actual labor because of the vast differences in boats, including rigging, accessibility, previous repair, and many other things.

rjcardinal 08-04-2004 08:43 PM

A good friend of mine made a similar deal with a guy painting his '68 Vette. He had been screwed when he had his Chevelle painted and had his attny draw up a contract that gave the painter a bonus if he finished on time. Now the time frame was suggested by the painter himself and he gave himself several months. The contract also provided for liquidated damages if the project went twice as long as the painter agreed to. After this date it cost the painter $100.00 bucks a day. The original date came and went and there was a great deal of progress but still more to go. Months of excuses later the guy was into damages. Months later still the guy owed my friend money because of the damages and was avoiding my him and refused to meet him. My friend had a tow truck pick up the Vette and bring it home. The painter called the cops and they went to see my friend. He showed the cops the contract and that the painter now owed him money and they left him alone. The car was 90% done but was missing some parts. The experience turned him off and he sold the vette.

Ron

X-Rated30 08-04-2004 09:52 PM

:eureka: Hey -- Here is an idea for the marine industry:

Have the customer come in and order the parts, paying for them right then. Assuming the boat is still running, the owner can use it until the parts come in rather than being down the whole time. THEN do the repair schedule. :rolleyes: