Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Merc's new look for the XR drive (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/84543-mercs-new-look-xr-drive.html)

Downtown42 08-04-2004 02:10 PM

Re: Merc's new look for the XR drive

Konrad is working on a shiftable outdrive now. Heard from P4-33, they sponsor him.

cowisl 08-04-2004 03:35 PM

It looks like an omc king cobra drive. They also shift way better than the old ones.

RJ1340 08-04-2004 04:06 PM

Question: Why do we need a new XR drive, don't the old ones break often enough?

CMG 08-04-2004 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by aero-offshore
Why no dual prop? did volvo patent that?

Great idea, for mini-vans.

Chase910 08-04-2004 05:10 PM

Volvo's patents must have run out, I mean they didn't even release the bravo drive until the cone-clutch patent volvo owned ran out...now it looks like a Volvo..only painted black.

C_Spray 08-04-2004 07:40 PM

I kinda like the look, but then I own Volvos. :rolleyes: I suppose that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Too bad they aren't really any stronger.... :blaster:

CMG - I've got a "mini-van" you might not like to meet on the water. Ask Shane, Tantrum, DaveP, SOX, or RAddiction. 92+. With a DuoProp. :D

Shane 08-04-2004 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by C_Spray
I kinda like the look, but then I own Volvos. :rolleyes: I suppose that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Too bad they aren't really any stronger.... :blaster:

CMG - I've got a "mini-van" you might not like to meet on the water. Ask Shane, Tantrum, DaveP, SOX, or RAddiction. 92+. With a DuoProp. :D

Yupper do he does. FAST AND STRONG! Like someone else said...who cares if it looks different, how strong is it? Then again, Merc does still make the 3A and 5! Hey C_Spray, when we gonna hook up again? :)

Wateronthebrain 08-04-2004 08:38 PM

Yup! She looks like a volvo/omc offshoot! You would think that with all the marketshare Mercruiser has out there they would want to impress. They sure didn't do their OSO poll research before they let that one out of the box!!!

C_Spray 08-04-2004 08:51 PM

You have to bear in mind that 95% of the Bravos made go on "everyday" boats. High-performance installations are pretty much a sideline for Mercury. Mercury Racing, on the other hand, would probably love to see a really new drive.

CMG 08-04-2004 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by C_Spray

My aunt drive a Volvo, she's sensitive too!! :D :D